Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New what caliber??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New what caliber??

7mm STW has my vote.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesthunter View Post
I will have to look into the 338 norma a little more. But when comairing ballistics between the 300 WSM and the 338 EDGE, yes they both can hit 1000 yards but the edge does it with alot more athority, and doesn't have the drop or drift that the 300 WSM has. So to me it would be a little more forgiving. As for still build the 7mm STW, I have to 8mm mag actions, so thats not tattaly out of the picture.
You have to remember, with the Norma you are getting similar ballistics with 23.5 to 25 inch barrels that you need a 26 to 30 inch barrel with the Edge. That is the appealing part for me. Not to mention it fits in a normal long action.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 02-16-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
You have to remember, with the Norma you are getting similar ballistics with 23.5 to 25 inch barrels that you need a 26 to 30 inch barrel with the Edge. That is the appealing part for me. Not to mention it fits in a normal long action.

Tank
Yes but can I use the same bolt face? I read the review on here but other than that can't find any more info on it?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesthunter View Post
Yes but can I use the same bolt face? I read the review on here but other than that can't find any more info on it?

No, you would have to open up the bolt face a little. Yours is a .532" and you would have to take it to a .585". With that said, we were discussing the possibilities of using the 375 Ruger as a parent case and necking it down to a 338 or 7mm. It would probably offer RUM like qualities.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!