Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New Vortex HD tactical scope or a Leupold Mark 4 LRT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New Vortex HD tactical scope or a Leupold Mark 4 LRT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleywannabe View Post
are they easy to use? I am really new at this long range stuff.
Easy as pie, if you get the MOAR reticle. Yardage judging is simple with the MOAR reticle....If you know about how tall an object is in inches, look at it through your scope and see how many mil-hashes it fits inbetween in height. Divide your items known height (inches), by the number of hash marks it fits inbetween, then multiply by 100, and you have your approximate yardage to dial up.

For example, say the vertical width of a whitetail's back is 16" in hight (average) from top to bottom... And in your scope it fits inside of 4 hashes.

16/4 = 4
4 x 100 = 400

Your approximate distance to your target is 400 yards. So, dial up the number of clicks your ballistics chart tells you to, from your zero'd yardage.

Simple.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Easy as pie, if you get the MOAR reticle. Yardage judging is simple with the MOAR reticle....If you know about how tall an object is in inches, look at it through your scope and see how many mil-hashes it fits inbetween in height. Divide your items known height (inches), by the number of hash marks it fits inbetween, then multiply by 100, and you have your approximate yardage to dial up.

For example, say the vertical width of a whitetail's back is 16" in hight (average) from top to bottom... And in your scope it fits inside of 4 hashes.

16/4 = 4
4 x 100 = 400

Your approximate distance to your target is 400 yards. So, dial up the number of clicks your ballistics chart tells you to, from your zero'd yardage.

Simple.
My NF has the NP-R1 reticle and I love it not as busy as the MOAR not trying to say that it is a bad reticle just giving my 2 cents hopefully it helps, I am fairly new to owning NF but I have shot alot of my buddies and they also seem to like the NP-R1 or NP-2DD, which I don't think they even offer anymore.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Bronze Member

If you do get a NF just look through all the scopes with different reticles you will find the one you like.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:13 PM

yes, exactly! right on!
Old 04-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Silver Member

I have leupold and love it. Found an awesome deal on the vx3 6.5x20 LR. Clear and the adjustments are spot on. For under a grand I can't see it to jump up another 800-1000 bucks. Just can't justify it. I've also heard only good things on vortex. Just MHO
Old 04-26-2013, 11:33 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad44 View Post
I have leupold and love it. Found an awesome deal on the vx3 6.5x20 LR. Clear and the adjustments are spot on. For under a grand I can't see it to jump up another 800-1000 bucks. Just can't justify it. I've also heard only good things on vortex. Just MHO
Yup those VX-3's are nice but he is already looking at 1400-1800 dollar scopes, he might as well get a NF in my opinion.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan21 View Post
Yup those VX-3's are nice but he is already looking at 1400-1800 dollar scopes, he might as well get a NF in my opinion.
I agree. When I purchased the vx3 I was debating between a mark4 and couldn't find any significant differences between the 2 scopes. The mark 4 has a "beefer" tube and the m1 knobs. The glass is the same. I like the target turrets over the m1 because they are covered. Not worth spending the extra money for the same glass IMHO.