Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New type of Action Wrench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 10:58 AM

New type of Action Wrench

I build Action wrenches, Barrel Vises, and Various dies in my shop. In the latest batch of wrenches, I had a fella request a Torque style wrench, but he didn't want the standard hex on the rear of the wrench. What he wanted was a 1/2" socket to fit his 1/2" drive torque wrench... Great Idea I thought, so I made it for him... Here are the pics...

Old 03-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: New type of Action Wrench

You might want to get in contact with Len Backus.
I believe buisnesses are required to become a sponsor before advertising on this site.
Your thread will get edited with a msg to contact him in regards to the site rules.

Just a heads up!

Your wrench video on youtube is why your user name seems familiar, i remembered.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

That was an idea I had a while back, but I don't have a machine shop or a TIG welder, so I decided not to attempt it.

That would be awesome if you made one that went the full length of the bolt rails.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:23 PM

Bishop,
Don't get me wrong, it not advertisinghere, what Iis saying is that for guys having torque type wrenches built, this is a viable plan.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:09 PM
Gold Member

I'm looking for a breech plug wrench for a Thompson Center Hawkin. Do ya got one of those layin' around? They're an odd shape.

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:35 PM
Silver Member

I like your rear action wrench with the T-handle. It has the angle at the end i almost had a switch barrel rig setup on one of my rifles intending on using your wrench. Still contemplating it.

Will the wrench clear the raised comb on the a-3 style stocks? I would want to switch barrels w/o removing the stock or scope.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:25 PM

Bishop, I came to this site looking for info on some calibers I am planning on making dies for. Had I come here to advertise I would have put a bunch of contact info under my posts like I do on other sites. I have found some of the info which helped me, and today I was shooting pictures from the latest batch of Wrenches that I built. Knowing that for some reason... High-power shooters and Long range shooters like torque style wrenches, [while point blank benchrest shooters (with the most accurate guns in the world) know that a T handle wrench is good enough] would appreciate pics of a new design type of action wrench, through finding info on the very same site that I found my useful info.

Mudrunner 2005,
The reason the best wrenches in the world only contact the action close to the front where the tennon of the barrel is, is so that any forces applied to the action, are only applied at the front. This keep you from putting the whole action in a twist while removing the barrel. You only want the torquing forces applied up where the threads are. The flat bar like the Davidson that has a hex on the back reminds me of something my Dad's Dad used to say. "Nothing is completely useless.... It can always be a perfect bad example".