Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

new and trying to build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Bronze Member

new and trying to build

I want a long range hunting rifle for Elk. If i buy a 700 Rem Mag 7MM SF can I just get the trigger work done and put on a Huskamaw scope and be good at 1000 yards. I already shoot well out to 600 yards with my 308. I am new to this site as well as long range hunting. I have only had my 308 for 7 months and have been shooting a lot with it. I cannot afford a lot of money for a quiality rifle, I am limited to what I have listed. Any help here would really be appreciated. I was planning on shooting the 168 VLD Berger bullet.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: new and trying to build

ds1304:
Here are my comments:

Rifle:
Rem700 SF. If this is the rifle that I think it is, with a varmint contour barrel (.82 diameter at the muzzle) with an HS Precision stock, it is a great platform from which to begin a long range rifle project. My suggestions would be to have the trigger tuned and have the action skim-coat bedded.

Optics:
Huskemaw optics are quality glass and can certainly be set-up for a 1k shot. there are quite a few good alternatives. Be sure to look at Sightron, Leupold and Bushnell. Just for kicks, look at Nightforce too.

Be careful when you say "put a Huskemaw scope on it and be good". Depending on how much internal adjustment any scope has, you might need to set it up with a canted (rear higher than the front) base.

Caliber:
For the sake of this discussion, the conventional wisdom says you should have 1500lbs of energy to cleaning kill an elk (1000lbs for deer).

7RemMag is a great cartridge, with the 168VLD traveling at 3000fps it has 1500lbs of energy at 550 yards. This will not reach your goal of a 1k shot.

300WinMag with a 210VLD traveling 2700fps has 1499lbs of energy at 1k.

Given this, I would suggest you choose something in the 30mag category.

Other equipment you need to consider:
Spotting scope
Weather station
Laser Range Finder (that can reach beyond 1k)

Be sure to practice, practice, practice. A rifle may have the capability to reach waaaaay over there, but it's only as good as the guy on the trigger. Your 308 is a great practice rifle.

Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds1304 View Post
I want a long range hunting rifle for Elk. If i buy a 700 Rem Mag 7MM SF can I just get the trigger work done and put on a Huskamaw scope and be good at 1000 yards. I already shoot well out to 600 yards with my 308. I am new to this site as well as long range hunting. I have only had my 308 for 7 months and have been shooting a lot with it. I cannot afford a lot of money for a quiality rifle, I am limited to what I have listed. Any help here would really be appreciated. I was planning on shooting the 168 VLD Berger bullet.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

.280 fan gave you some very good info.

I've been hunting with a 7mm Rem Mag for 30years and wouldn't shoot at an elk at 1000yds with it; everything would need to be perfect and in my experience that just doesn't happen.

A 300Win Mag is a solid performer. If you are really intending on shooting 1000yds for Elk, I'd go with a 300 Ultra Mag if possible, it will best the Win Mag by 200fps.

If money is tight, think about your range finding capabilities, a few yards error can cause a miss easily. The heavier cartridges (like the 300RUM) can cover up some smaller errors in wind reading and ranging.

Good Luck,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds1304 View Post
I bought that very gun (Rem 700 7mm Mag Stainless Fluted) about 6 months ago. In it's factory form it does not group well enough for shooting out to 1000 yards. Not even 600 yards for that matter.

I am in the process of doing a "build" on it. I have a stock ordered from HS Precision. I will replace the factory stock and bed the new one. I expect it will still need some accurizing to be a viable long range shooter and maybe even a new barrel. I did some work on the trigger but could not get the sear adjustment screw to turn. I have had a couple of more experienced smiths tell me the factory does that on purpose. And they say they are hard to take apart. The factory trigger is not bad but 4.5 lbs is as light as I can safely get it to pull. So it will probably need a new trigger too.

Oh yeah, the above poster is right. My tables show the 168 VLD drops below 1500 ft/lbs of energy at around the 775 yard mark. But I think I can get that close. At least I have been able to so far.

I am considering the same scope as you. But by the time I get through making this thing shoot well enough for long range shooting, I probably could have just bought a custom and saved a little money and a lot of time.

Rem 7mm Mag is my favorite for an all around North American hunting cartridge so I intend to make it shoot right one way or another.

Last edited by woolecox; 07-12-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

One other thing about the 7mm Rem Mag. I've been around 4 Remington 700's in 7RM. Everyone of them would shoot sub moa at long range with the right reloads after they were bedded and the trigger was lightened.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Bronze Member

WOW, what a great site man, you guys are AWESOME. The feedback here is to cool. thanks for all the information and feedback from all. It is difficult for me to make a decision but I will and with the help from each of you I know I will have the perfect rifle when done. THANK YOU all of YOU
Old 07-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Silver Member

You are going to have to have a little luck for that rifle to be "good" at a 1000. I want my rifle to be capable of much better than MOA. When you combine all the factors that go into hitting something at 1000 your rifle had better be really good to make up for all the other things that can add up to move the bullet off it's mark.

To me the 7mag is fine for elk at a 1000, but everyone has to figure out what they are comfortable with as far as velocity and energy down range.

If it were me, and I were on a tight budget I would go with a cheaper scope option. And put the money you will save into the rifle and more ammo for practice.