Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New toy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

New toy

Ok my friend brought me a couple guns to chose from that he had accumulated over the last few years. A couple 300RUM sendero's mostly factory just restocked and such, a 338 edge, and 2 338RUM's. I bought the one 338RUM (NOT THE ONE I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TOO IN THE LAST THREAD) now I have some planning..
Specs:
Built by: Gold Creek Rifles (I know nothing about them)
700 remington trued
sprial fluted bolt with custom knob
Jewel trigger with saftey
Badger bottom metal and magazine (3.900)
competition recoil lug
Krieger barrel 1.250 - 1" 26", 28" with brake
Bell and Carlson A2 stock with adjustable cheak aluminum bedding block and bedded
Night force Steel 20MOA base
Night force Titanium rings
Hawke 8-32X56 (for now, waiting on another NF)
I am thinking that with the 26" barrel I maybe better off with 200 or 225 grain bullets. I have a couple of boxes of 200 grain accubonds I was gonna try. Any
other suggestions??? all my other 338's I have used berger 300 grainers but this is gonna be strickly for hunting.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New toy

Just got back from range, Really good news and Bad news. as I figured this gun shot very well. I tried 200 grain noslers, 225 SST's and 300 grain bergers. They all shot under 1" with virgin brass. Gun had only been fired 40 rounds for break in before I got it so I am happy with it's quick success. the BAD!!!!! it is only a 26" and it's 3lbs lighter than my other 338's Maybe I am getting old but I am done with it too much recoil for my neck. so I am gonna move it on and grab maybe a 7mm or a 300win in the same style chassie, now I remember why I like HEAVY guns.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

Tough choice I personally feel that guns should be kept and more bought ha. However you cannot go wrong with the 300 win mag. My personal favorite.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXshooter View Post
Tough choice I personally feel that guns should be kept and more bought ha. However you cannot go wrong with the 300 win mag. My personal favorite.
Yea I need 300win in this type of set up. If it doesn't sell quick i may look into rebarreling it and getting another magazine for the win mag.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXshooter View Post
It's nice to meet someone who shares my reverence and values towards true weapons collecting.

A true collector doesn't buy and sell...That makes you a hobbyist or enthusiast, in my opinion. Which there's nothing wrong with that. Your money, your guns, your choice.

A true collector never sells or rarely sells, but continues to collect more.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

If your happy how it shoots why not just add weight in stock to cut recoil.
Good Shooting
Old 08-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

or maybe a better brake