Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New to the site-Have a quest. on Sako trg/s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2002, 08:39 AM
Silver Member

Re: New to the site-Have a quest. on Sako trg/s

Matt,

I e-mailed him. I'll let you know what he says. My brother also wants one, so that is three all together. Hopefully he will do something.

Jim
Old 01-17-2002, 09:39 AM

Hey guys, I emailed Dave last night. Looks like he could have a months worth of work. But how/what to do about the trigger guard and mag release? Can these be taken from the old stocks and put on a new one?
Tom
Old 01-17-2002, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

Isn't one of the BIG PROBLEMS with that gun the fact that it has either a very small or NO recoil lug?? I've seen this on other posts. I own one of these in a 30-378 and have not found that it likes bullets bigger than 150 grain. AND for some reason my gun will not shoot unless I've fouled the barrel somewhat--not something you like to do with a gun that burns barrels so fast.
If the recoil lug is an issue how could it be addressed with the stock idea?? I wonder what Lazeroni does to the gun to get it to shoot?? Also--as you know the stock that comes on the gun is very slippery--especially with wool gloves--Although we all know the price was right!!
Old 01-17-2002, 10:06 AM
Silver Member

Spud,

I wondered the samething myself. I think he will make the trigger guard intregel to the stock and the mag realease can be removed from the old stock (I guess) and installed on the new one. I guess I'll let Dave figure that out, since it will have to be done.

Kraky,

As far as the intragel recoil lug on the fiberglass stock that comes with the TRG-S, I don't see what the problem would be of having one made from kevlar/carbon fiber (actually I think it would be stronger).

Anyway we'll see what he says, hopefully he can do it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jim
Old 01-17-2002, 02:32 PM
Silver Member

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!! David just e-mailed me. Here is a cut and paste of the e-mail:

"If the stocks are for the same action, yes. I give a discount where my time
is less because I only need to do one setup to cut the action recess, to
shape the core, to cut hardware, etc...
I could offer as much as 15% off the price of each, if they are different
contours, possibly 20% if they're all the same.
You'd each end up getting the stock for at least $100 less.
Please have the other guys get in contact with me, and maybe you three get
together and decide on a style for your stocks.
Or maybe I could just give you a total cost for the three rather than price
them individually. I'd need to know exacly what you want in the stock first.
Thank you,
Dave Lake"

If everyone who is interested will e-mail him and mention my name(Jim Hendrickson) and the e-mail above, we can get, as he says "at least a $100 less". Please let me know if people are really interested. I will go in on this deal (as will my brother, so all we need is one more).

Jim
Old 01-18-2002, 12:47 AM

What about making a single shot action out of it and using an ADL type tigger guard?
I know I could mill a mag follower that would work but....
It might be nice to have that second shot.
As far as accuracy. We have been shooting 150Moly BalTips and getting just over an inch at 100. Not what we thought either. So we are working on 180 Ser.MatchKings. .36" @100 with RL25. The loads that shoot the best are hot. I'm only getting four or five rounds out of the brass. Still the speeds weren't that great. Without checking my log book I think it was only doing about 3300ft/sec. I was hoping for more.

Tom
Old 07-06-2002, 02:29 PM
Bronze Member

You try this route. If a wood laminate stock
will work for you try Bill Shehane or ElkRidge. You can send them your old stock that they can use as a pattern for the action area. Or inlet and glass bed a 2x4 with your action and send that as a pattern. I've done both and they came out nice.
Call and talk to them first. If you do the 2x4 I think it has to be at least 36" to fit in the duplicator.