Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New to the site-Have a quest. on Sako trg/s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2002, 02:31 PM

New to the site-Have a quest. on Sako trg/s

I hope I'm posting this right. I'm new to posting on your site but have been reading for months. As a person from Idaho who has the opportunity to shoot longrange I enjoy your thoughts and conversations.
But my questain is, any idea were to get a new bench style of stock for a Sako TRG/s. I can't find anyone listing the 995 action under the common stock makers.
Here's the story: a buddy and myself bought the 30/378 to have something truly big to work with. Well, he got the great idea of bolting on 4lbs to the front of it. He worked hard on it and I thought if it didn't affect accuracy then I'd be right behind him. The first shot was OK and he turned around with a smile. I could tell the recoil was better. Then the second shot split his stock and the point of the second bolt. All I could do is smile and say 'back to the drawing board'. So now he's looking for a new stock. Any ideas?

One more thing. Thanks your thoughts on 100yrd shooting v. 500-1000+. Most guys think that if a gun shoot great a 100 then its all OK and just read what the book says and hold a little high. But its not.

Tom
Old 01-16-2002, 02:44 PM
Silver Member

Re: New to the site-Have a quest. on Sako trg/s

I am also looking for an aftermarket stock for a Sako TRG-S with no luck. In a previous post someone had a website fo a stock maker, so I e-mailed them today. It looks like they make stocks totally from scratch. I will let you know what they say.

Jim
Old 01-16-2002, 03:05 PM
Silver Member

David Lake said he can make one (it looks like he uses a carbon fiber/kevelar composite). I e-mailed him for the cost. Let you know more as I get more information.

Jim

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: 338Lapua ]
Old 01-16-2002, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

David Lake at Compositeguns.com just e-mailed me with the cost. It will be around $470 for the stock (this only includes basic construction and magnum reinforcement). He said he will double the magnum reinforcement for the very large calibers.

Hope this helps. I know it does me and my TRG-S [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Jim
Old 01-16-2002, 04:22 PM

Wow, is that for a bench style or do you know? Putting a $475 stock on and $550 rifle???
I'm going to look at his site for any more info on the different styles he makes.

Thanks a bunch
Tom

You don't want to sell yours do you?
Old 01-16-2002, 05:12 PM
Silver Member

I probably will sell my stock, but I need to send it to him first as a pattern for the inletting. I know the money may sound like a lot, but it is impossible to find someone to build a TRG-S composite stock. From the price of a McMillan and HS (for a standard action) I think it's only $100-$150 more.

Jim
Old 01-17-2002, 06:31 AM
Silver Member

338Lapua,

Maybe see if he will do a group discount? If the price was right I will spring for a stock too. I have beeing looking to replace mine for a few years.

Matt