Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New to the Site

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Silver Member

New to the Site

Looking to get into long range shooting, maybe some hunting later. I'm looking to buy a Rem. 700 sps .300 win mag. I want to shoot it as is for a while to get my feet wet. Eventually I'd like to put a sniper style stock on it and a cylinder type barrel as well. as far as optics go you guys will not be impressed. I want to put a Mueller 8.5x25 tactical on it. I will be reloading once I get the rifle. Any advise will be helpful.

Last edited by 3fingervic; 03-25-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: New to the Site

Wow! It seems a little chilly over here. Maybe I'll ask a more specific question. What kind of accuracy can I expect out of the box with the SPS? Anyother equipment I should look into? Any advise on a Sniper style stock. I did look at the Ultimate Sniper Stock. I also hoped to a pac-nor barrel later on has anyone used one of those? Any opinions on loads for this rifle? A little help please.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome aboard. You didn't get much response because you didn't ask a question.

Sounds like you know what you want to do.

I like to save a little more weight and stay away from the straight bull barrels. Heavy varmints are fine for me.

The Choate stocks are good for the money. I don't care for their looks or feel. I prefer laminate wood or a good synthetic like HS Precision.

I've also heard nothing bad about Meuller scopes. I understand that they are very good for the money.

Welcome to the hobby. I hope your bank account will support all your wishes.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member

Vic:

Not chilly around here at all, it's just that this time of year the weather's getting nice and guys are anxious to get out and do some shooting so a person that could answer your question probably hasn't read it yet.

It's hard to say what kind of accuracy you'll get with any factory gun as some do great and some don't. You'll know what kind of accuracy you get when you try yours out. A lot of factory guns with some tender loving care and load preparation will do very well and you may be happy with what your new gun does, especially with loads worked up for that particular gun.

The terminology of "Sniper style" around here may not get you as many responses as you might get if you referred to a specific brand and model of stock. Just a suggestion..

Pac-Nor is a brand that a lot of people use but I'd suggest you try the "search" feature and see what that brings up. You'll find a lot of discussions about barrel brands and preferences.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome Vic,

Although I'm a fairly experienced shooter I am also new to the LR game. I have been on this site almost a year and have learned a ton and I'll give you my $.02

I dont know what your budget is, but I would suggest considering a Rem 700 Sendero. The Sendero's have a heavy varmit contour barrel with an excellent aluminum bedded stock. They are well known to be tack drivers out of the box. Here's the Rem info on them...

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...F_II_specs.asp

I just got a used 300 RUM Sendero that supposidly shoots about .3 MOA with factory ammo and I may be able to improve that with handloads.

There is a ton of info on this site so check out the many threads on rifles, scopes, loading, accuracy etc.

Good shooting and keep us posted.

- MR
Old 03-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

Montana, I'm a huge fan of the Sendero. However, I'm a southpaw and am stuck on a LH action. I did consider looking into a RUM instead of the WM, but a few guys from another site swayed me toward the win. mag. Plus, a RUM in left action is $300 more than a WM. I did find a Rem. 700sps .300wm for about $515. I did consider a Savage 110 in a .300 win. That debate seems to never die. I could get the Savage package for $580, but I'm not sure.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

WElcome,

I am new to the site myself, but not new to shooting. Why the 300 win mag though? If you are new to this game, I don't mind telling you that short actions sure beat the heck out of long actions in my book. ---in terms of handling. Also, that caliber is going to kick the snot out of you, which often makes accuracy diminish in the case of novice shooters.

There are a LOT of options out there. Think on it. If you do it right,you only ave to do it once.

Texas