Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New Sendero troubles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Silver Member

Re: New Sendero troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cram View Post
Has anything been done to rifle to help accurize it. There could be several things working against you. The crown could be cut out out of alignment from the bore. Not to uncommon to see from the factory. There could also be scratch of ding in the crown effecting accuracy. If the action is not stress free bedded and the barrel 100% free floated it should be for best accuracy potential. Are the bolt lugs lapped? Are the scope bases stress free and loc-tited in place. Are the scope rings lapped and the scope sitting stress free with the reticle aligned? It sounds like you have a good grasp on reloading so to me it sounds like the rifle just needs a good tweaking to make it work a little better towards its potential. As far as the brass shaving in the bot face I see this alot with factory Remington extractors. There are a couple of things that cause this. The factory extractor groove may not be cut deep enough for the extractor to properly expand in far enough to snap over the rim of the case. If it bottom out the brass is softer than the extractor and it will just tear a groove in the rim. The factory extractor is a pretty stiff, add along a sharp edge and brass shavings is what you get. Your probably noticing when you push the bolt forward you have to give it a little extra uugghh to snap the extractor over the rim of the case. It's not a accuracy deal breaker other than it's a pain in the ass. A sako extractor has a more positive extraction and you won't have to grunt to snap the sako extractor over the rim, you probably won't even feel it snap over. I'd be glad to talk with you about accurizing your rifle and a sako extractor, if your interested feel free to give me a call, my numbers on my website.
I think my problem is exactly what you said because you descibed what it is doing. I'm going to do a bit more shooting with it and see if I can get what I want but I anticipate I will be calling you. I had already been looking at your services on you website. Thanks alot Kevin, and everyone else who gave responses I really appreciate the guidance.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
Perhaps someone else can address the brass shavings on the bolt face...

Don't worry about the shavings, they are just a minor problem with the extractor clip.
I would be more worried about the accuracy of that rifle. I had a Remington 7mmRM last year and it had a faulty chamber.
The chamber was that badly cut that I could not extract factory loads after firing. The problem was with a deep bur in the chamber.

The smith that rebarreled it for me said that Remington had a bad batch of 7mmRM chambers cut.
Well thats encouraging for a new rifle .
Old 02-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

I had a problem brass getting marked. I had the chamber polished to make sure all the nastys were out. That fixed it.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-19-2011, 03:07 AM
Silver Member

150+ rounds 2 powders/2 Bullets/2 Cases.......My Sendero is good for 1/2-1.0 Moa .75 being the average. Beded, jewel trigger still no improvement. .002 Runout on fired cases tells me it is not entirely true. You would think millions of dollars of machines and they could at least produce a true action/barrel alignment...this will be my first and last Remington. Everything has to be replaced to make it good- I thought paying extra for a sendero would get me something.....a nice stock is all I have been impressed with. It has a good look to it and did come in 7 Rum so that part I like.

I must be spoiled with my first rifle being a Sako.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airgunner7 View Post
150+ rounds 2 powders/2 Bullets/2 Cases.......My Sendero is good for 1/2-1.0 Moa .75 being the average. Beded, jewel trigger still no improvement. .002 Runout on fired cases tells me it is not entirely true. You would think millions of dollars of machines and they could at least produce a true action/barrel alignment...this will be my first and last Remington. Everything has to be replaced to make it good- I thought paying extra for a sendero would get me something.....a nice stock is all I have been impressed with. It has a good look to it and did come in 7 Rum so that part I like.

I must be spoiled with my first rifle being a Sako.
Interesting... my "guaranteed" Sako Finnlight (300 WSM) is about a 2-3 MOA shooter that has caused me a lot of grief including two trips to the factory in which they said there was nothing wrong with it.... But that's another story

My two Senderos, both previously owned, 300 RUM and 25-06 are both .5 MOA shooters out to 400 yds and I have had a coupld of .25 MOA groups with them without any accurizing work done to them... and they will both shoot just about any load very well.

Sorry to hear about your trouble WV Sendero. Unfortunately, it happens now and then, especially with the big gun makers. If you have the funds, I would highly recommend getting your action blue printed and stock skim bedded. That's something you'll want to do in the future anyway and something I was planning on doing with my Senderos.

That being said, I am planning on selling my Senderos and buying Sub MOA Vanguards because I like the actions (Howa) a little better than the Rem actions. In fact, I just got a good deal on a new one and just ordered a Broughton 5C barrel for it and will be getting a blue print and skim bed job for it.

Best wishes on your project.

-Mark
Old 02-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Interesting... my "guaranteed" Sako Finnlight (300 WSM) is about a 2-3 MOA shooter that has caused me a lot of grief including two trips to the factory in which they said there was nothing wrong with it.... But that's another story

My two Senderos, both previously owned, 300 RUM and 25-06 are both .5 MOA shooters out to 400 yds and I have had a coupld of .25 MOA groups with them without any accurizing work done to them... and they will both shoot just about any load very well.

Sorry to hear about your trouble WV Sendero. Unfortunately, it happens now and then, especially with the big gun makers. If you have the funds, I would highly recommend getting your action blue printed and stock skim bedded. That's something you'll want to do in the future anyway and something I was planning on doing with my Senderos.

That being said, I am planning on selling my Senderos and buying Sub MOA Vanguards because I like the actions (Howa) a little better than the Rem actions. In fact, I just got a good deal on a new one and just ordered a Broughton 5C barrel for it and will be getting a blue print and skim bed job for it.

Best wishes on your project.

-Mark
Mark,
Why would you get rid of a 0.5 MOA Sendero based on a solid Remington action. Then replace it with a "CAST" Howa action that have been known to fail in a catastrophic manner.
Not many gunsmiths will touch a Howa action as they are not considered safe in larger calibres..
Old 02-19-2011, 09:35 PM

My new Sendero in 300 RUM was FUBARed from the factory,chamber was cut .025 out of round and the barrel was warped. You should probably take it to a gun smith and have it checked out.