Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New scope opinion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 09:05 PM

New scope opinion

I have a 7mm mag with a 3-9 leupold vx-2 with a duplex reticle that I have hunted with for years that I have become very proficient with out to the 500 yard range through lots and lots of practice. I am looking to put a higher power scope with minute of angle turrets to become a little more precise and maybe extend the range out to 6-700 yards if conditions are good and make a drop chart for the gun.

I am looking at the mark V, nightforce nxs and the huskemaw blue diamond. Obviously the nightforce is the best quality but the weight is concerning since I will be carrying this gun up to the 13,000 foot range when hunting. Are the turrets on the mark v or huskemaw consistent and repeatable when I get my distances dialed in? Is the night force that much better that I should just carry the weight? With the NXS it would take my total gun weight up to around 11 pounds. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: New scope opinion

Weight is one of the biggest reasons that I don't I don't own a Nightforce. Last yr I hunted sheep with John Porter. Liked the Huskemawwell enough from pre season practice that I bought one. I also got a March for Christmas. Have not shot the March yet. I'm sure that I'll like it. I killed my ram, antelope and deer w/ the Huskemaw. Preformed well and the glass seems pretty good to me.
I don't like the Leopolds because of the change of focal length as the magnification changes..... Cost me a shot at a bull elk one time. Having said that, one of the best long range hunters thatnI know uses and loves the Leopolds. I used to have Leopolds and had great customer service. Good luck. Bruce
Old 04-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Leopold FFP does not change? I have a 4.5-14 and love it! For hunting though I think I would go VX6 2-12 CDS.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

I shoot a lot of Leupold scopes, mainly mkIV taticals and agree they are a little bulky and heavy for a dedicated hunting rifle, the night force scopes are worse yet....given this I have a solution for you.

I ordered a VX III long range with a 30mm tube and 40mm objective from the custom shop with a M1 dial and TMR reticle with side focus.....everything you need and nothing you don't, it's a lot lighter and slimmer than my tatical scopes but I have the ability to dial elevation and hold windage with the reticle, the field of view is comparable to the taticals as they all have 30mm tubes.

I mounted with tatical rings on a NEAR 20 MOA base on my browning short action in 284 win and it makes the for the perfect 8# mountain rifle capable of long distance shooting.

Gve the custom shop a call, they can hook you up for a little less than $1k.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member

I'm a big NF fan. Don't own any yet, but have shot with lots of them. The NXS 5.5-22x56 MOAR reticle has become my next target for my next project, which will be a custom build .280 AI for whitetail hunting and range shooting.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinner View Post
I shoot a lot of Leupold scopes, mainly mkIV taticals and agree they are a little bulky and heavy for a dedicated hunting rifle, the night force scopes are worse yet....given this I have a solution for you.

I ordered a VX III long range with a 30mm tube and 40mm objective from the custom shop with a M1 dial and TMR reticle with side focus.....everything you need and nothing you don't, it's a lot lighter and slimmer than my tatical scopes but I have the ability to dial elevation and hold windage with the reticle, the field of view is comparable to the taticals as they all have 30mm tubes.

I mounted with tatical rings on a NEAR 20 MOA base on my browning short action in 284 win and it makes the for the perfect 8# mountain rifle capable of long distance shooting.

Gve the custom shop a call, they can hook you up for a little less than $1k.

I agree 100% i have switched to the same exact scope on several of my rifles except i use the boone and crockett reticle. In my opinion its the best of all worlds with a low price. I have done a little long range hunting/shooting and im a firm believer in you dont need a 20x to make those shots. the low end of a 4.5-14x is far more useable than the high end of a 6.5-20x

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 04-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
I agree 100% i have switched to the same exact scope on several of my rifles except i use the boone and crockett reticle. In my opinion its the best of all worlds with a low price. I have done a little long range hunting/shooting and im a firm believer in you dont need a 20x to make those shots. the low end of a 4.5-14x is far more useable than the high end of a 6.5-20x
See, I don't see how yall are having issues at max magnification....

All my scopes will adjust clearly at max magnification, as close as 100 yards...Yes, even my cheap 32x Konus. And when scanning on max magnificiation, things are just fine, from my experiences. I don't see how so many people are having issues with max magnificaiton. I never have any problems. So for me, I like to have large magnification scopes.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.