Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New Rifle: What do you think about this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member
New Rifle: What do you think about this?

Hey guys, its time for a new baby. Well, im kind of replacing my old baby. I've just sold my .340 wby and 300 rum (that I never shot, just found a good deal on when i happend to have a little extra cash). replaced the 300 with a .243win + cash (needed somthing for coyotes) and now I need something for the big stuff (moose, elk, grizz, ect.). I loved my .340 for its knockdown power, but it had some qualities that I just didnt like (blueing was rusting, high price of brass, liked light bullets just to name a few). I'm dead set on a .338 cal. just like them... alot. so what I was thinking was a rem 700 XCR in .338 rum. my smith has an edge reamer, so i was thinking that i would do that right away (so I dont have to buy 2 sets of dies). add a break and a recoil pad and call her bob (for now). I know that a custom would be better but i dont have the cash for that, so is this a good option? is there a better route for the same price in a .338 testosterone mag?

whatever i get will be topped with 4.5-14 Mark IV (got a smokin deal on it).
By the way, I live in Canada where everything is more expensive.

Thanks fellas and God bless!!!

Last edited by angus-5024; 04-15-2009 at 11:04 PM.

Unread 04-16-2009, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member
Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: New Rifle: What do you think about this?

Sounds good. The only advice I would offer is that you try it first before you ream it out. You may have a gem to begin with. If it isnt broke dont fix it.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Unread 04-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

i have a remington 700 xcr and am very happy with it other than the stock it is a throwaway, i replaced it with a mcmillan a-5 from jwprecision (home) ya the exchange rate is a killer right now but i think it is worth it. if you go that route a smith isn't needed to swap the stocks it is just 2 bolts.
there is always something to learn
Russ M
Unread 04-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Bronze Member

My buddy has one and loves it, He didn't put a brake on it and says it don't hurt too bad...but he's only 30..LOL I just looked at one on gun buy it now for $819.
Unread 04-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Double dog dittos on what Michael Eichele said.

I started with 338 Win Mag which shot beautifully, but wasn't sexy enough. Got a Rem sporter take off barrel in 338 RUM got it fitted and added a Holland QD brake.

See's a sweetheart for accuracy, is plenty sexy enough has plenty of umph with the 300 SMK trucking along starting at 2730 +/-1 with IMR 7828ssc powder. No animal will know the difference between it and the Edge though the Edge has the edge

Unread 04-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

If your gonna spend $800 on a factory rifle, you may as well go at least semi-custom.
action $350 (rem 700)
Barrel $300
stock $200-?
fit&chamber $225

So you end up spending what? $275 more on a rig with top notch components. You can always blueprint the action later when you have more dough. If you buy the factory rig, you're basically spending $800 for a mediocre rig that you're gonna live with until you have the dough to completely overhaul it. Alternatively, you spend a little bit more, but are buying only stuff you really want that you can upgrade later.
Unread 04-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Iam in no way trying to offend anyone but I personally would never fit a $300 match grade barrel to a Rem 700 receiver that has not been accurized. It may shoot better then the factory rifle, it may not, pretty high risk for the money.

Personally, I get this type of question alot and my comment is always the same, if your buying a new rifle, as already mentioned a couple times, shoot it, do a bit of load development and see what it will do. In many cases, it will serve you very well for what you want to do. I assume that since you want a lighter weight sporter rifle design, this rifle will not be used for shooting much past 700 yards if that.

As such, give it a good barrel break in and see how it shoots.

"IF" it does not shoot well, there are some minor things you can so to possibly improve performance. Those being:

-Trigger job(often a big help with a factory rifle)
-Lap lugs into better contact without getting to carried away.
-Recrown the factory barrel(better be done when you have the MB installed)

Those are the simple, least expensive things that MAY get you noticable results. After that, you get into more serious surgery such as restocking with quality bedding and then serious rebuilding and rebarreling.

Again, I have a hard time putting an expensive barrel on an out of box receiver. Just call it the rifle builder in me and not wanting to waste someones money. Not saying it would be a waste but it may not shoot any better then the barrel you took off. If the receiver is the problem for the poor accuracy and consistancy, you will see that again if that problem is not corrected.

Just an opinion.
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: