Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New rifle build advice from South Africa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New rifle build advice from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgens View Post
I will keep looking in the classifeids to see if a SA stock pops up.
I am very comfotable shooting game out to 300m and have a bit of paper practice to 400m but I prefer shooting 200m and less on game. I am not sure how it works in the USA, but over here if you shoot at the animal you pay. Some farms only if blood is found and on other full price if the shot is fired and some half price if the shot is fired and no blood is found. You can see what tha animals cost here so I prefer to get as close as posible on foot and make 100% sure of my shot. I have taken game past 300m but that is only when the situation calls for long shots. Whith that in mind the .260 Rem with a 140gr pill would be all I need for hunting so the extra speed and shorter barrel life of the "hotter" calibers cant justify them for my needs.

I handeld the Tikka Super Varmint the other day and it feld awsome! I am thinking of buying the Tikka Super Varmint in 260Rem as i know the Tikka's are very accurate out of the box. My dad has a 9.3x62mm that is stock standard that shoot .4" 5 shot groups with 286gr TSX bullets at 100m all day long.
What is your thoughts on the Tikka? It would work out a lot cheaper than a build. A Remongton action+ floorplate and trigger gaurd would set me back about $ 1250, Juwel trigger $ 300, a barrel $ 650, Gunsmith $ 300, Stock $ 500, Duracoat $100 so the build would be atleast $ 3100 where the Tikka is $ 2300 ready to shoot with. With the extra money I am halfway to a pretty decent scope!

If you ever get the chance to visit SA let me know! It would be nice to thank you in person for the advice given.
Tikkas are indeed nice. I'm so happy though with my sendero's and VSSFII that I see no need to spend the money on one.

I'm getting sub .5 accuracy with factory loads out of both the Sendero .300 Rum and VSSF 220 swift and that's all a man can ask for.

All I've done to either was to bed them and float them.

If Winchester will chamber the coyote model in .260 I'll probably end up owning one as I really like that platform as well, and I jut have a long standing love affair with the Mod 70 action. I just don't feel right unless I own at least two of them and right now I'm down to one... .

I have very good freinds in SA and my dogs are slowly taking over the SA GSP breeding pool so I suspect at some point I'll be making a trip that way, but it's still a few years off.

In fact my friend there might be able to help you with your build or in ordering a rifle as that's part of his business.

His blog for his kennel is here:

Matotoland Kennel: Wildrose There Goes My Last Dollar - Dash

His name is Francois VD Walt.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:02 AM

Thank a lot for the contact!
Can I contact him or do you wanne just give him a heads up?
Personaly I am n big Rem 700 fan. I also love the CZ ( old BRNO) rifles but my No.1 choice would always be a Rem 700.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank a lot for the contact!
Can I contact him or do you wanne just give him a heads up?
Personaly I am n big Rem 700 fan. I also love the CZ ( old BRNO) rifles but my No.1 choice would always be a Rem 700.
Look him up. I'm sure he'd be glad to do anything he can to help you out. Francois is a great guy.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:20 AM

Thanks a million Wildrose for all the advice.
I will look him up.
Have a nice day and thanks again!
Old 07-06-2012, 02:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks a million Wildrose for all the advice.
I will look him up.
Have a nice day and thanks again!
Be sure and drop me a line and let me know how it goes. My bet is that you will make a new life long friend with the first call or email.