Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: What barrel mfg
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What barrel mfg

New rifle build 280IA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Silver Member

Re: New rifle build 280IA

Benchmark
Old 01-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Where do you get your stats Riley? Not doubting you, just curious.

As for me I just got 3 projects done on Broughton 5C barrels. 2 of them have shot .2" groups, the other I haven't had a chance to flesh out yet.

That said I've read a lot of good things about Benchmark barrels and plan to use some of them for my next 3 projects. Not that I am not satisfied Broughton... I am very happy with those barrels and my dealings with Tim North who is a great guy IMO and will take the time to share his experiences and thoughts with you. I like the idea of the 5C or 5R rifling. Not really sure they are any better then the standard 6 groove barrels, but it sounds like a good concept.
I've got a 338LM with a Benchmark barrel, and have been very happy with it. I'll bet that you won't be disappointed if you go that route. Based on your experience maybe I'll go with Broughton on my next go-around - I like having (and comparing) different manufacturers of "the good stuff".

Brandon
Old 01-26-2014, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
I've got a 338LM with a Benchmark barrel, and have been very happy with it. I'll bet that you won't be disappointed if you go that route. Based on your experience maybe I'll go with Broughton on my next go-around - I like having (and comparing) different manufacturers of "the good stuff".

Brandon
That's what I figure. I would like to try a variety of barrels. Hard to go wrong with most of the custom match grade barrel makers out there. I do like the 5C/5R concept though.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-27-2014, 07:43 AM
Silver Member

Lothar Walther and Lilja would be my choices.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:35 AM
Silver Member

Broughton
Old 01-27-2014, 12:45 PM
Silver Member

I used Lilja when I was shooting benchrest. I shoot Krieger, Broughton and Bartlein. I just prefer cut rifling now.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Bronze Member

Not that Ive ever competed, but looking at Benchrest result/equipment lists, Krieger, Lilja, Brux, Bartlein, are always on there. I would go with one of those listed. Theres not gonna be much difference between all of them anyway. However I would NEVER go with a ER Shaw.