Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: What barrel mfg
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What barrel mfg

New rifle build 280IA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: New rifle build 280IA

I built my 280 Ackley #7 stainless Douglas barrel with a 1in9 twist a little over a year ago. It was really ruff inside and copper fouled really bad. I hand lapped it and it is doing fine now and shoots good. The heavest bullet I have shot in it is 162g A-max and 168g burgers.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Silver Member

I often wonder how come Douglas barrels aren't mentioned much. I have had since 1976, 8 rifles re-barreled with Douglas barrels and they have all been excellent shooters. Mind you, I'm not a bench rest shooter but, when I can shoot 3 shot groups into tiny cloverleafs, that, for me is great.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Benchmark
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Benchmark
+1. Certainly not to the detriment of any of the other choices, but I have had great experiences with Benchmark.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

The top three barrel manufacturers right now for producing extremely accurate barrels are Bartlein, Kreiger, and Brux, in that order, and benchmark and hart are also in the top 5. That said, i went with a Brux on my most recent build, and anyone of those five above will shoot tiny, tiny groups.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 01-25-2014, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
The top three barrel manufacturers right now for producing extremely accurate barrels are Bartlein, Kreiger, and Brux, in that order, and benchmark and hart are also in the top 5. That said, i went with a Brux on my most recent build, and anyone of those five above will shoot tiny, tiny groups.
Where do you get your stats Riley? Not doubting you, just curious.

As for me I just got 3 projects done on Broughton 5C barrels. 2 of them have shot .2" groups, the other I haven't had a chance to flesh out yet.

That said I've read a lot of good things about Benchmark barrels and plan to use some of them for my next 3 projects. Not that I am not satisfied Broughton... I am very happy with those barrels and my dealings with Tim North who is a great guy IMO and will take the time to share his experiences and thoughts with you. I like the idea of the 5C or 5R rifling. Not really sure they are any better then the standard 6 groove barrels, but it sounds like a good concept.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-25-2014, 09:57 PM
Bronze Member

Lilja