Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: What barrel mfg
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What barrel mfg

New rifle build 280IA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

New rifle build 280IA

Looking at building one I have a donor action , what barrel MFG ? Lots of choices need help on this one , going with HS precision stock jewel trigger , want to load 180 hybrids , scope still up in the air night force is my first choice . My biggest question is barrel mfg , is fluting worth is ? Or really just for looks

What barrel would you use for this build .

Dougless
Brux
Krieger
Wilson .
In know I am leaving some out please post your preference and why ?

Thanks

Last edited by birddog67; 04-10-2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Spell
Old 04-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New rifle build 280IA

My smith has been smithing for 50+ years, said he's been building .280 AI's for 40 of them. Says all barrls are good, but be has always had the best all-around experience with Douglas. Says their customer service and watranty is the best, and says he has the best accuracy out of them. So, I trust him. He says the Rock Creek barrels are about the next best, but the blanks cost more than the Douglas.

I think you couldn't go wrong with any of the major manufacturers, honestly. But he says the Douglas has the only virtually unconditional warranty he's seen.

So, I'll probably go with a Douglas, maybe pay the $100 more for a Rock Creek with the Obermeyer 5R rifling....Who knows. I'll figure it out when the time comes.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Silver Member

I chose a Brux 9 twist #4 26 inch finish length. I just brought it to the smith last weekend. Hopefully it's done by September. Good luck with your build.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Hart or Broughton would get my vote. The 5C Broughton be a first choice for me probably. 28" 1 in 9 for this chambering.

Fluting, well it looks nice, as for the actual performance benefit on this chambering I say probably not much.

jeff
Old 04-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

My smith also said that the only fluted barrels he'll install were fluted prior to rifling the barrels, b/c the fluting process can hurt the rifling or something or other....Beats me, but that's what he said.

I'm gonna go with a 26" 1:9 twist Sendero contour, whichever brand I go with.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 04-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Most barrel makers will flute before stress treatment and final lapping . I am guessing that is what he was referring to.

Jeff
Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Most barrel makers will flute before stress treatment and final lapping . I am guessing that is what he was referring to.

Jeff
Yeah, that's it! Sorry, it's been a LONG week, and my brain is fried...And we still got tomorrow before it's over. LOL

Quote: