Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

The New Raptor is hatching.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: The New Raptor is hatching.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post

My thinking, why not take the barrel and stock and let them work together to make the strongest, most flex resistant system possible. Bed the two in a perfectly stressfree system most of the length from the rear receiver tang to nearly the tip of the forend.

Hey Kirby,
There is a gunsmith that uses the same idea building bench guns. I saw one after he was finished with it. He had Devcon from the receiver to the forend. It was a heavy gun though. Sounds cool what you are doing. Can't wait to see what produce. I know my cousin has his jaws salivating over the thought of buying one when you start selling them.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Silver Member

Oh great, Kirby is building my first long range rifle for me that I ordered a year ago and then, WHAM...a new supergun. I'll just go over here and try to sell more ice melter so I can get one of these.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Got her fully assembled late this afternoon. Turned out very good. I wish I had the Manner MCS-T4A stock on her but the HS adjustable will have to do for now. Few things about that stock I do not overly care for, I think I mentioned I much prefer the fixed CP model over the adjustable but it will work just fine, more cosmetic then anything.

Anyway, came in at 16 1/4 lbs which is a couple lbs over the Gen I Raptor but that is mainly in the heavy HS stock (compared to McMillan A-5) and the NF NXS scope(compared to Leupold Mk4). The final system should be very similiar in weight to the original Raptor rifle but with several advantages and certainly under the Idaho weight limit.

Was to late to get any pics tonight, will do that tomorrow and post them then as well. We are supposed to have a cold spell move in for a couple days so load development may be delayed but by this weekend bullets should certainly be in the air. My performance goals for this rifle with 30" barrel will be 3100 fps with the Raptor Hybrid throat design and thats with a short OAL of 3.670" which will easily fit in any standard length mag box so no need at all for exotic 4" long mag boxes, UNLESS you want one!!!! Seated out to nearly 4" OAL, I have no idea what she will do, time will tell but for now, if I get up to 3100 fps I will be very happy.

I think this should not be a problem as the standard 338 AX will easily push 3000 fps in a conventional throated 30" barrel!!!!

More coming very soon. Pics tomorrow!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Silver Member

Kirby I should have waited till later today to cum up I would have loved to see it as a finished gun maybe next week till then good luck on the load development see you next week
Old 12-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Got a hair tonight and was thinking, the Raptor would be at home at night!!! Plus the black background gives a bit of a sinister look to her, or should I say more of that look. Very happy with how she finished out, if she shoots as well as she looks, which I have no worries that she will, the Raptor LRSS should be a hell of a precision weapon system.

You notice that the receiver is engraved and labeled with Glens Rebel markings, this was simply because the receiver had to have legal markings and we have not yet decided on how I want the Raptor engraved for the ATF marking variance. Also, you can tell this stock was MADE to work as it does not fit quite right in a couple areas. Looks pretty good but on production Raptors with the Manner stock, this will not be an issue of any kind and it will be inletted specifically for the Raptor barreled receiver. For the time being, this will work just fine.

This view really shows the new Double Recoil Lug barrel design and bi-fluted barrel.

Using this HS stock, the rear swivel stud on the forend was removed and its hole was modified and used for the 1/4x28 tpi mounting bolt holding the barrel solidly into the barrel channel. On production Raptors, this will be in the same place but a rear swivel stud will be positioned just behind the mounting bolt recess so that option will still be available if wanted.

Now to get load development done and bullets in the air!!! Stay tuned.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby,
Congrats!!!
That is one sweet looking rifle, I am going to be dreaming with the Raptor tonight.
Looking forward to see your shooting results.
REAL COOL RIFLE YOU JUST MADE THERE!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Very interesting Kirby. Reminds me of the muscle cars from the 70s in the sense of a powerful looking action/barrel combo. The slimmer ejection port looks like it would serve to stiffen up the action. But the action should be exposed to much less stress anyhow due to the additional forward recoil lug. Will be impatiently awaiting the results of your field testing(s) and report(s).