Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

The New Raptor is hatching.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Bronze Member

Re: The New Raptor is hatching.....

I to will be waiting for the sporter version in 7am indeed, Been awhile since I last purchased a custom. I will make it interesting in what I want which has to be fun based on a gunsmith gets to test his superior knowledge in building one of kind for that client.

PS: Kirby what is your time frame roughly for a gun now days. Money is burning a hole in my pocket.

7mm calibers for life over 200 kills of the most beatifull amimals in mid west states.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Nonya,

Yes, techincally it would classify under the new Montana registry exception law. For those that do not know what that is. The Montana house and senate passed a law that said any firearm made in the state of Montana would not be required to have a background check filed with the FBI on purchase to another Montana citizen and also no registration paper work would need to be filled out.

That all sounds good but here is the fly in the soup and the law makers knew this going in making the law more of a statement and nothing else. TO make a firearm, I have to have a manufacturers FFL license, that is a Federal license. I do not need any license from the state of Montana other then tax IDs and commerical permits from the county I am in to run my business and also satisfy any federal requirements for this type of business. That meaning, I have to have an FFL.

Since the federal government, specifically the BATF is in charge of issuing these licenses, they can also revoke them which would mean I would not be able to be a firearms manufacturer. Simply put, the feds still have their arm up us FFL holders rears to far to thumb our nose at them to hard!!!

In the end, if we want to continue interstate sales of firearms, we have to follow Federal laws and that means register and background checks on new firearm sales....

The law only applies to made in mt firearms being sold to montana residents,so interstate sales are not effected by the law any ways.You didnt need a background check to make this sale before the new did you?

Old 01-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

I was also under the impression that all the materials for the manufacturing had to be sourced in Montana also, so the barrel and action manufacture would need to get raw materials from MT then cut them in MT.
Montana is still hard to beat for an arms bearing citizen!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

KNHOTROD,

Right now, time frame is still a bit up in the air until we finalize on the receiver specs and then its off to the stock maker. The Sporter version is a ways out but I am hoping this year if all goes as expected.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Nonya,

First off, unless you had a concealed carry permit or some other ATF approved identification, even Montana residents had to go through the NICS background check that the FBI does.

I believe the new law eliminates this but again, my point was this. The ATF controls who gets and who does not get their FFL renewed. The ATF is not under the control of Obama, Pelosi and Reid. I think you can see where this is going. Give them a reason to revoke your FFL and I am sure they would not loose any sleep doing so.

As much as I appreicate my fellow Montana customers, they simply do not produce enough rifle sales to maintain a living so I have to look at the larger picture. That being, having to satisfy the Feds and their rules above those of the state.

That is my only point.

Look at is as when we had the "No Speed Limit" here in Montana. We could pretty much do what we want here in the state but when we leave the state we play by a different set of rules.

The Feds pressured the state by telling them they may take federal funds away if they did not impose a speed limit, look what happened. Similiar thing here. We can do what we want here in the state but I can not make a living inside the state alone for rifle orders. Sad but true.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Bigngreen,

I do not believe the law is that restrictive. I believe the raw materials can come in from anywhere. Raw materials are in no way considered firearm parts so there is no paperwork on them really. Its only when they are turned into actual finished rifle parts that the ATF classifies them as a receiver other then a round piece of steel. Once classified as a receiver, it has the same status as a completed firearm so as long as the receiver is made here in the state I believe that would satisfy the law.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post

"This Ramshot Magnum powder is advertised as being just as stable under temp changes as any of the extreme stick powders(Hodgdon) but that did not seem to be the case in my range results."

"I am going to test some Retumbo and see how that works. This is my standard powder in my standard 338 AX. I will likely drop a bit of velocity simply because of not being able to get as much powder in the case but I should still be able to break 3000 fps with the 300 gr SMK and if velocity stays consistant, thats far more important. If Retumbo proves to slow for the 338 AX with the Hybrid throat, I will step down to H-1000 for a bit faster burn rate."
Kirby, What about US869. Sounds like from above you think it'll be too slow and it'll probably be temp sensitive moreso than you like. I know 'long ranger' up at Alberta Tactical uses it at around 110+ grs. for his 338 Lap AI w/ 300 SMK and gets top velocities, but I don't know what kind of temp sensitivity issues he's run into.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl