Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New and need educated????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member
Re: New and need educated????

Originally Posted by backwoods83 View Post
Greyfox not bashing because you have a 24" and a 26" but if you try lapua scenars you will likely find that the longer barrel finds accuracy at higher velocities and easily produces higher velocities due to the lapuas having a .0003" larger drive band than bergers which helps maintain dtability from 2700-3150 with no highly noticable effect on accuracy, and on deer and the like, they are just as effective as the bergers. I have hit 3182 in a 30" barrel with 3/8s moa at 100 but at that point vertical stringing at 1k was horrible. But like YOU said, don't be affraid of the fact it has a 24" barrel it is still very effective and in most cases if you want better accuracy than a savage you better start sving for a custom!
Thanks Backwoods. I haven't tried the Lapuas, but will. For the hunting I do, I much prefer the shorter tubes. Can't imagine getting much better accuracy with either of my rifles. Have shot several .25 moa groups with both at 500 yards. Over a dozen deer and antelope from 450 out to 998. Gonna try stretching it out another one or two hundred yards next season given the effectiveness at 800-1000 .

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt

Unread 03-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member
Re: New and need educated????

No problem buddy, I have a Brux that prefers the bergers, and my 2 factory savage barrels do extremely well with bergers and 142SMKs but they are always at best with the lapuas.