Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New and need educated????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 09:56 PM

New and need educated????

I have been lurking for two years and am interested in a less expensive long range rifle for my son for his graduation from college. I have a 308 Remington laminated stock with 26 inch heavy barrel which would make a good platform to start with. However, it seems the rage is 6.5 mm. I have looked at the new Savage long range hunter in 6.5 x 284 and 6.5 Creedmoor. However, after pouring over ballistic tables I can't see where these beat the 260 Rem, 270 Win., 280 Rem, and 7mm-08 by anything if at all. I think I would like the Savage long range hunter if they made it in 7mm-08 because of cheaper brass, selection of bullets, etc. It seems like you could put all of these rounds in a hat and shake it up and pick one out and it is as good as the rest. Please educate me a little.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New and need educated????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
I have been lurking for two years and am interested in a less expensive long range rifle for my son for his graduation from college. I have a 308 Remington laminated stock with 26 inch heavy barrel which would make a good platform to start with. However, it seems the rage is 6.5 mm. I have looked at the new Savage long range hunter in 6.5 x 284 and 6.5 Creedmoor. However, after pouring over ballistic tables I can't see where these beat the 260 Rem, 270 Win., 280 Rem, and 7mm-08 by anything if at all. I think I would like the Savage long range hunter if they made it in 7mm-08 because of cheaper brass, selection of bullets, etc. It seems like you could put all of these rounds in a hat and shake it up and pick one out and it is as good as the rest. Please educate me a little.

Thanks in advance

You have already discovered the truth of it all..... If you arent going to keep the 308...have the barrel pulled off and a new .260 barrel ( same taper so it drops right back in) installed.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

What it really boils down to is recoil vs. how well it does at the long ranges. Essentially, the heavier the bullet the more recoil you must absorb and deal with. Which of course takes up valuable time. Time in a competition is one of those things that can eat you alive some days. For instance, the longer it takes to get back on target and steady up your sight picture the more the Wind may have changed. If you break and discover the wind shifted you just missed the bull. Another thing is, the body can only take So Much Recoil before it becomes "punch drunk", once that happens you may as well pack it in for the day because you are done.

So, it is a balancing act. The good old .243 shooting a 105 or 115 can give it hell out to 1k for not a lot of recoil. The .260 is relatively mild with a 140 ish grainer, and it too will easily out shoot the old 308. The 308 however is still a Very Good round out to 1k! The new berger 155 Hybrids are very nice indeed when pushed by 8208 or ARComp.

Like you said, put them in a bag and shake them and reach in pick one out But the trade offs are ability to deal with the wind, and the recoil the shooter must deal with.

Gary
Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

One thing, you may put the 243, 260, 7mm-08, 270, 280, 308 all in a hat and pick one and not notice much difference, but the 6.5x284 will dominate all of them, it is held back by the 24" barrel of the savage lrh, but with a 26" or longer barrel that round will shoot .612 bc 140 bergers at 3100fps, none of the rest compare.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

Are you after ballistics for paper shooting or are we going to do some long range hunting with this rig?

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

You are correct that you can be successful with most of the ones listed. It all just depends on what you want to shoot and how far.

If you're not going to hand load, sitck with the 308 for the best factory match ammo.

If you're hand loading, don't let the cost of the brass affect your decision. Go for quality brass. If Lapua doesn't make it, pick a different cartridge.

Recoil and lapua brass put 6.5x284 and 260 rem at the top of your list.

Perhaps you should start with developing a good load using 175 Berger OTMs, Lapua Brass, CCI BR4 primers, and IMR4064 powder for your 308? You might be surprised.

-- richard
Old 03-06-2012, 03:49 PM

Backwoods83,
I have found on this site an article about a 270 shooting Matrix 165 grain bullets with a.650 BC. I guess the Savage LRH is out if I can't ring the most out of its 24 inch barrel.

BignGreen,
This is mainly for paper punching.

rscott5028,
I have handloads for the 308 right now in 168 grain with 4064 that will put yer eye out at a good distance. Haven't tried the 175 grainers yet. Maybe I just need to get a good scope for that rifle.

Gentlemen, thanks for all of your comments. Keep them coming.