Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New Mexico Barbary sheep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

New Mexico Barbary sheep

Well ,

My fingers are a bit better now , the typing ones that is . After typing the New mexico oryx hunt details I was wimping out on typing any more very soon .

Since I am not a good typing storyteller I will just put down some facts abou t the hunt and a few pix . My friends say that my medium is " verbal " and some even say they would rather hear me tell the story as opposed to being there . Boy , I must cook some good food when they come over !

The oryx hunt was fun and successful . We left Alamogordo to travel to Roswell to pickup Scotts' bighorn sheep and elk mount from the 05 -06 hunts .

Innocent conversation ................yeah right , We wern't at the taxidermists for 10 minutes before Scott was badgering him about the potential hunt areas around Roswell .

Not wanting to go pee around the premises in plain sight of the neighbors I asked permission to use the " little boys room " .

Big mistake ............ big mistake that is if I wanted to get home any time soon . As soon as I exited from the house there they stood ................ staring at me !!

What ? ... my question was weak and ignored . Scotts' grin was nuff said . The taxidermists' knew a rancher that owns approx 50 sections and has Barbary sheep free ranging all over them .

Jimba ! , what do you think ? he asked . Man , looking at that beaming , smiling face how could I say no ? I mean , what diff that if I wasn't home right away I would lose all my potential business for the next several months ...................... there were sheep to shooot !!

The ins and outs of the hunt were as varied as they can be . Many stories have been told that would be practically word for word for this hunt .

50 square miles , roam at your will, plentiful game . Whats not to like ?

Something I did not know at the outset and did not put into words till the end ..........the Barbary sheep were more " game " than the mule deer . [image][/image]

[image][/image]
Old 02-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New Mexico Barbary sheep

Jimm yall are doing yalls part keeping the NM animal population in check...good job.

I havent forgotten about what we discussed...just have been busier than a one armed paper hanger working and trying to close on a couple of pieces of hunting property....one down hopefully the other will go easier. Now the fun part starts...clearing and planting plots, building shoot houses, setting out feed stations and cameras. Hopefully I can get that info to you in a few days just awaiting a return call, but I think he is on his honeymoon.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Real good photos. Nice hunt! just blessings after blessings.
Good for you!
Jimm, was that sheep shot at 137 yards?

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 02-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member

Eaglet ,

It was 328 yds. first shot then 357 yds to put it down

Also , it was shot using my LSR 300 winnie built by Chris Matthews . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] That rifle is still shooting 1/4 moa , even when Scott shoots it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As you said , " blessings after blessings "

Jim B.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:43 AM
SPONSOR

Bout time you posted those pics!!! Good looking animal. No doubt you guys had a great trip.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

Jimm:

Great pics and sounds like you had another super hunt. You're gonna have to move out west if you keep up this hunting pace. It'll save you a lot of driving. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

I thought I recognized that gun. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Y'all certainly had an adventure.

P.S.

You will need to post up a culinary review shortly on the subtle differences in oryx and Barbary goat. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]