Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New Member seeking advice for rifles legal in Alberta

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 06:10 PM

New Member seeking advice for rifles legal in Alberta

Hey guys,

So my question is that I have been looking up on a few rifles but have no luck in finding any info saying if the rifles are legal in alberta and even more improtantly can be used for hunting. Some that I have in mind are the .408 cheytac or in the .338 lupau.. Any info on this would be great or any info on other rifles that could be purchased for hunting but have the range and tactical look that the cheytac has. As for range I'm looking at any where from a few 100 yards up to 1000+ yards since the terrain where I live can be very open. One last thing is price isn't a matter for me but if cheaper than great! No ones hates a good bargain lol.

Thanks a lot in advance! Really appreciate any help!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New Member seeking advice for rifles legal in Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draxx11 View Post
Hey guys,

So my question is that I have been looking up on a few rifles but have no luck in finding any info saying if the rifles are legal in alberta and even more improtantly can be used for hunting. Some that I have in mind are the .408 cheytac or in the .338 lupau.. Any info on this would be great or any info on other rifles that could be purchased for hunting but have the range and tactical look that the cheytac has. As for range I'm looking at any where from a few 100 yards up to 1000+ yards since the terrain where I live can be very open. One last thing is price isn't a matter for me but if cheaper than great! No ones hates a good bargain lol.

Thanks a lot in advance! Really appreciate any help!

From my understanding in reading other posts, .50 BMG of any type is prohibited in Canada. The .338 Lapua and its variations are permitted. I could be wrong, but pretty sure I'm right.

As far as caliber, 338 Lapua is all you will need from 0 to 1500 yards using a 300grn BTHP of some type. Hopefully one of your Northern brothers will chime in.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:58 PM

Thanks Tank. You wouldn't happen to know of any good makes in the .338? I really like the AR look or tactical if you will. Once again money isn't really an issue. Thanks
Old 07-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Gold Member

Hi Draxx11,

Welcome to the site.

I'm hunting in alberta to and no restriction up upper limit for hunting.
Just minimum is 243 cal for hunting and the rest you are ok.

Contact Rick @ ATRS (Alberta Tactical Rifle) and you can get from him 338EDGE, 338EDGE AI, 338LAPUA, 338LAPUA AI, 408 CHEYTACK, OR 50BMG. Of course for that distance go with EDGE or 300rum, and you will be happy.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:07 PM

Thanks a lot 300rum! Went to the site and it's great! As a newbie to this I'm not to sure what you mean by upper...I've been reading a bit but is that the barrel, caliber, action and those components? As lower would be the magazine size and of it's auto, semi or bolt...
Old 07-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Gold Member

What 300rum means is that in alberta you can hunt with any of the calibres you mentioned but if 1000 is your range, then 338EDGE or 300rum will get the job done.
Cheers
Old 07-20-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
From my understanding in reading other posts, .50 BMG of any type is prohibited in Canada. The .338 Lapua and its variations are permitted. I could be wrong, but pretty sure I'm right.

As far as caliber, 338 Lapua is all you will need from 0 to 1500 yards using a 300grn BTHP of some type. Hopefully one of your Northern brothers will chime in.

Tank
It's not that 50BMG is prohibited, it's that 50BMG is not exportable from the US. So, any 50BMG rifles, etc. come to Canada from sources other than the US.