Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New Mcmillan rifle in Australia- 416 BARRETT.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Gold Member

Re: New Mcmillan rifle in Australia- 416 BARRETT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groper View Post
I'd be very interested to hear whether any civilians successfully obtain a PTA for one of these RECENTLY DUH .... Let us know will ya?
Groper,

What state are you in mate ?

DUH
Old 06-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

DUH,
You missed a great shoot. I hope your mum is ok.

The McMillan rifles were simply amazing. The .416 Barrett has to be one most awesome LR hunting rifles there is.

We shot them and a heap of others in wet conditions out to 1400 yards and they performed very well.

The new match grade .416 Brass and ammo that BMT is producing for McMillan is super accurate. Dave Arnberger will be taking some nice photo's back to the USA with him showing just what these rifles can do with match grade ammo.

This brass comes with the necks inside lathe turned so as the loaded ammo is a perfect match to the chamber dimensions of the McMillan rifles. Inside the necks are then polished and treated to provide consistent bullet release. The brass is of a special alloy, designed to withstand high pressures and reloading.

I saw a few photos of game that Angus has shot with the .416 and this new ammo and it takes bullet performance to a higher level than what we are use too!
I took a few pictures for the boys to enjoy............

Old 06-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Gold Member

Hey Norm !

Yeah spewing I could not get there in the end. I knew it would be a good show.

If you like LR kit.. Probably the best collection in one place at the one time !

Sorry the weather sounded not to good.

Did you get to play with ALL the toys there ? Not being too specific.. Especially one that can fire 10 big rounds quite quickly ?

DUH
Old 06-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Hi DUH,
Yep great collection of gear. Half the blokes had a go at it but I didn't as I did not like to ask.
The boys were there for some serious practice and I just didn't want to interfere with what they were doing.
I did have a go at some of the other stuff though and look like I will be getting something with a bigger hole in the muzzle some time in the future.
I did like the .408 as it was just so easy and mild to shoot. A 416 with that ammo would be hard to beat for long range hunting. It would be just plain savage on Sambar. Can't see one getting away with a solid hit.