Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New and looking for something specific.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 02:53 AM

New and looking for something specific.

Hello,

My name is Tyler, and I am new to the long range game. I have always been intrigued with bolt action, long range rifles.

As of now, I have a Mark IV 8.5-25x50mm LR/T M5 with the Illuminated sight, And alot of 250-300gr. Lapua rounds.

So I guess my questions come to the following:
Is there a .338 bolt action, long range rifle, that has a positive review?

Take down feature?

Or easy to break down and store?

Oh, and of course, Is there one with a good modification platform?

Take down is justified because I do not have alot of room in my apartment. And why not lapua? lol. I have more rounds then would be acceptable to get rid of or to give away. The sight would be a cool addition to the rifle, if you have it, why not use it?

Thank you all in advanced,

Tyler
Old 12-22-2011, 04:07 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New and looking for something specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCrawf View Post
Hello,

My name is Tyler, and I am new to the long range game. I have always been intrigued with bolt action, long range rifles.

As of now, I have a Mark IV 8.5-25x50mm LR/T M5 with the Illuminated sight, And alot of 250-300gr. Lapua rounds.
Nice scope for the job.

Quote:
So I guess my questions come to the following:
Is there a .338 bolt action, long range rifle, that has a positive review?
Several from 1,200.00 on up, the sky is the limit.
Quote:
Take down feature?
Several but extremely expensive customs only.
Quote:
Or easy to break down and store?
Breaking a rifle down to store it is not necessary, and you will have accuracy issues with all but the most carefully handcrafted take downs.

Quote:
Take down is justified because I do not have alot of room in my apartment. And why not lapua? lol. I have more rounds then would be acceptable to get rid of or to give away. The sight would be a cool addition to the rifle, if you have it, why not use it?
A rifle case takes up only very slightly more room in a closet or under the bed than a broom. Simply not worth it for the many thousands extra you would pay for a custom take down rifle.

Check the LRH Classifieds.

There's at least one or two .338Lapua 700p's listed; you may have to scroll through quite a few pages to find them.

Also check at Sniper's hide and Sniper Central.

If you have not already done so, I would STRONGLY suggest finding one to shoot before investing the money in one.

Most people cannot tolerate the blast or recoil, not to mention the expense of shooting one which is why you can find so many "very lightly used" models for sale with a little looking around on the internet.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:25 AM

Seems like a non-take down is the way to go. I got a bonus this year and seem like I need a holiday gift.

I have shot a .338, they are fun, I heard the muzzle break helps greatly, am I wrong?

Tyler
Old 12-22-2011, 05:47 AM

So I have come to the conclusion that a custom is the way to go.

Does anyone reccomend any good Gunsmiths and such?

Tyler
Old 12-22-2011, 06:14 AM
Gold Member

Kevin Cram

Montour County Rifles
Old 12-22-2011, 06:30 AM
Platinum Member

You can Start with our Host Len Backus or any of our site sponsors who do customs.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/rifles/

Don't be afraid of the classifieds here either. I've picked up two very nice rifles from other members here.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

If your going custom, let me suggest this stock:XLR Industries | evolution

They offer a collapsible stock option. It is a very stream lined and will hold up to punishment due to all metal construction. If you should choose a Savage, and want to upgrade the stock, Stockade stocks is where its at.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!