Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New to Long Range Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 07:19 PM

New to Long Range Shooting

Any help would be appreciated as I'm new to long range shooting.

First I have two rifles and not sure which caliber would be optimal to convert to a long range shooting system? I plan to hunt mule deer and antelope.
1. Tikka T-3 270 WSM
2. Steyr - Daimler 7X57 (with set trigger)

I would like to purchase a new scope for this rifle and would like feedback on the Vortex Viper PST, Leupold or other suggestions?

From an ammo perspective what manufactured bullets would you recommend for the rifle of choice?

Lastly, are there any books that simplify long range shooting or gun stores in Colorado with knowledgeable staff to help out someone new to the sport?

I appreciate your time and input.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New to Long Range Shooting

That 270WSM will be a hammer. That is the route I would go. Look at Night Force, Sightron SIII, Vortex Viper PST, Weaver Tactical, SWFA SS 5-20HD. They are all good options unless you have the bucks for Premiere, Schmidt & Bender, or US Optics. Ammunition you want to look for 140+ grain in a boat tail design of some type.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

1) Spend an hour or 2 a day reading the articles and forums on this site.
2) If possible, start gathering reloading equipment. It will pay for itself in a very short time AND will make your rifle a better shooter.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Silver Member

My go to rifle for everything I hunt is my Tikka 270 wsm. I shoot the 150 grain winchester ballistic silver tips. I took a 200# bear at 982 yards this year with it. Long range isn't really something you just learn it takes a lot of trigger time
Old 12-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

Which one do you want to shoot more? Learn the basics, then buy some steel and hit the field. I've never seen someone get better at shooting by doing anything but.

For the 270WSM- 140 or 150 berger VLDs are nice. The 7x57, 162Amax is the best .284", but I don't think the 7x57 will push it very fast. I'm a fan of Leupold. Maybe because I sell them and they're the best "bang for my Buck". NightForce is very nice as well, but expensive. I put a premium on durability, so these two are at the top of my list.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
1) Spend an hour or 2 a day reading the articles and forums on this site.
2) If possible, start gathering reloading equipment. It will pay for itself in a very short time AND will make your rifle a better shooter.

AJ
+1. most questions here can be answered rem sendero and leup 6.5-20. add a good range finder and handloads.