Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

new to long range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 05:48 PM

new to long range

So Ive been looking into getting into long range shooting and hunting. I currently have an armalite ar-10 in 308 win. Ive been looking at the sightron siii 8-32x56, the sightron siii 10-50x60 and the nightforce benchrest 12-42x56. I have some questions though. On the above scopes which reticle is best, why do most scopes have the elvation and windage turrets as well as mill dots or extra lines, and is it necessary to have both mil dots as well as turrets or is just a cross hair and turrets sufficient for hunting and target shooting. I would also appreciate any ballistics charts or programs that would help calculate bullet trajectories. I would appreciate any help and tips anyone may have.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Gold Member

Re: new to long range

Start here,

Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting, by Litz. Buy this book and read over and over until you have a fundamental understanding of what level of accuracy and precision it takes to make your intended long range shoots with consistency.

For the scopes, MOA MOA is a preferred setup. Mil Mil will work but most seem to prefer the MOA MOA. The Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56 with NP-R1 or MOAR reticle will make an excellent scope for hunting purposes. You will diminish your elevation adjustment capabilities with the higher power NF scopes. If you are aware of the required elevation for the range and ballistics profile you will be shooting then the higher power scopes will also sufice.

For ballistics start here.
JBM - Calculations - Trajectory (Simplified)

Last edited by MMERSS; 06-01-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:41 PM

Ok thanks a lot for the help I think Im going to buy the book before making any decisions. As of right now i think im going to stick with one of the nightforces. so the nxs 5.5-22x56 would still provide suffivient magnification to be shooting around the 800 to 1200 yard range?
Old 06-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclark1 View Post
Ok thanks a lot for the help I think Im going to buy the book before making any decisions. As of right now i think im going to stick with one of the nightforces. so the nxs 5.5-22x56 would still provide suffivient magnification to be shooting around the 800 to 1200 yard range?

Plenty enough.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:00 PM

So are the nightforces that much better than the sightmark scopes(enough to justify the extra $600) or would one of the sightmark siii series scopes still be adequate for such ranges?
Old 06-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Gold Member

Sightron makes a good scope. Are the NF NXS worth the extra money? I think so. This is my opinion and I don't think I would be too off track to state many others would agree. NF NXS is a very popular top end hunting scope if you can afford to sport one.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:29 PM

Ok thanks for all the help im going to hopefully read the book and do a lot more reseaerch.