Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New hunting rifle questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Bronze Member

New hunting rifle questions!

I have about 1000-1200$ to spend on a new hunting rifle (already have optics, Sightron SIII 6-24X50) I am thinking about getting the Remington SPS 700 Long Range Hunter in 7MM Mag. Since this rifle runs about 650$ I was going to have the funds to bed it, true the action, and have a Timney trigger installed at the gun shop. Is this a good place to start, and is this money well spent?

I don't mind the extra few pounds the gun comes with so heavy barrel is not a problem. I am also beginning to reload so i will be able to get some good loads to run through it down the road also.

Would i be better off spending the money on a new stock? The stock is supposed to be an upgrade from the varmint stock they currently use and it is already pillar bedded.

Any suggestions, ideas, or comments would be appreciated!!

FWIW--This past hunting season here in Arizona every deer I glassed up with my 15X56 binos that presented a shot were between 480-890 yds. Just the nature of the beast in the high desert; and I was not able to take a shot because I did not have the confidence in my rifle. Thus tag soup for me. Hopefully this new setup along with practice gives me new hope next season!!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New hunting rifle questions!

That is a great starting point, but may want to look for a Sendero or one of their Stainless models. The Sendero stocks are suppose to be pretty good. If you can find a used Sendero stock that would fit the SPS, then go that route.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Ditto. Just get a Sendero if you like the Model 700 and have it free floated and bedded and you should be off to the races.

For the price difference and quality difference in the Senderos and the SPS models you'll be way ahead in the long run.

For your application the 7mm Mag is a good choice, the 300wm would be an even better choice once you move out beyond 750. The higher BC's and energy from the heavier bullets really pays big dividends as the range increases.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

I'll third the Senduro route. I would look into the Winchester coyote lite in 7 WSM. You get a good stock, great action and a medium-heavy barrel for a bit less than the Senduro.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
I'll third the Senduro route. I would look into the Winchester coyote lite in 7 WSM. You get a good stock, great action and a medium-heavy barrel for a bit less than the Senduro.
Ya, when it comes to really nice short actions the Coyote and Coyote Outback are super nice.

I had to settle for the new all weather SS Synthetic Fl model though since I was hell bent on another 300wm but those Coyote models really had me tempted.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies!! I am going to take a closer look at the Sendero!! Only thing is it will soak up all my spending money without the funds to bed the stock, true the action and have a new trigger installed.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

Or savage 111LRH, mount up the scope and run with it, nothin to mess with out of the box. i do like Winchesters though
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe