Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New guys to the group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New guys to the group

Asquared- for hunting you will need a lazer range finder. if it just for targets at known distance no. also i would start reloading. especially for target shooting. the quickest way to 1000 yard gun is getting a remington sendero . By taking a 700 action ( $350), putting a heavy krieger barrel ( 300 +125) 26" to 28 " , and a stock of your choice ($200 to ?? ) is the best way . for targets Heavier is better. i consider a bdl a sporter weight, the sendero a mid weight , and my f-class 17 pound rifle heavy weight. i have a sporter weight, adl 7mm mag. it will shoot great groups at close range but they are not like the heavy custom barrels for long range. the sendero is a compromise. and they shoot great i have a couple with krieger barrels . awesome.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

we did not talk about the trigger or scope. you may want to keep your sporter for carrying/hunting and get a heavy target rifle or you may want to sell the bdl and get a sendero weight to do both. trying to get a sporter weight rifle to shoot like the sendero or heavy- would involve a lot of time, money and reloading components and recoil from a light rifle.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

Great advice so far, the only thing I would add is to look into a good bipod such as the Atlas and dont scrimp on reloading dies initially or you will wind up buying another set once your skills improve.....I would suggest redding type S dies at a Minimum and the competition bullet seater with micrometer....I use their full competition sets for my rifles, I have found that billet seating depth plays almost as much of a role in accurate ammunition as powder variety does.

Great comment about the empty milk jugs, they make great reactive targets ( just pick them up when your done) and the only others thing I can recommend is to practice, practice, practice. You don't save any money reloading but you can sure shoot a lot more.

Start saving now, your going to need it!!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

Sell the BDL and buy a Sendero. A used one that has been treated well with low round count and a proven good shooter would do fine. It's a great platform to learn LR on. While you are shooting and learning with this you can consider what your next rifle or upgrade will be.

Once the barrel is burned out you can either sell it for it's action and stock which would be worth about $600 or so and get a full custom project going or you can true and upgrade the action and rebarrel with a custom match grade tube after you have had time to digest all the input here to make some good choices. Making choices about actions, stocks, barrels, etc, now might get you something other than what you might really want.

I did the Sendero thing and learned a lot. I'm selling (sold) mine and having a couple of rifles built off of blue printed actions and as time goes on, hopefully a couple of full custom jobs.

You are going to end up dumping a lot of $$$ into a BDL to make it a good reliable LR shooter. If you buy a good stock for a sporter factory barrel, you're putting a string of pearls on a pig for LR purposes. Just go ahead and sell the the BDL and get a Sendero or maybe a Savage and be done with it.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-27-2013, 05:42 AM

Ok well thanks for all the great information. information looks like I have some shooting to do. I'm studying the long range calculations etc and should get to do some shooting next week! Thanks for all the advice.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asquared View Post
Thanks for the advice. Is there any really good barrels that you/anyone would recommend that works well with the 700 BDL action.
-AA
Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

You've got a very nice list of barrel recommendations thus far ... I have had very good luck/results with Lilja barrels ...

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.