Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New guy with a question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2002, 07:50 AM
Silver Member

Re: New guy with a question

John M, I mostly prefer a stock with a tactical/hunting design. I have used HS precisions on several rifles in the past. I do like the way the stocks fit and function, and as of yet, have no compliants. As far as the 7STW goes, I have a 280AI on a 700 action with a Hart 27 1/2" .875 barrel, jewell trigger, HS stock, and MK IV scope. That should have the STW angle covered, as it is faster than my 7mm mag, which puts it right there with the STW.

hoytemanPA, How many rounds have you fired? I was wondering about the burnout factor with the 30-378, and from what I have heard, cleaning every couple shots is paramount with that caliber. That doesn't mean I have ruled it out, I am still doing my research at this point.

[ 09-26-2002: Message edited by: JustC ]
Old 09-26-2002, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member

JustC

For the application you are after, the 300 Weatherby, the 300 RUM or the Tomahawk (IMP 300 RUM) will do quite well.

You will need at "least" a 30" barrel to give the velocity you are should have for the 1000 yard kills you are after. Keep in mind, you may want to go hunting for elk also.

The three mentioned above would be my suggestions for the application you are after. Good accuracy at 1000 yards and good hunting ability in any of the three, plus the availability of great bullets in the 30 cal bores. I would use the 200 and the 220 gr bullets in the 300 Weatherby and the 200,220 and 240 in the RUM or Tomahawk.
With the brass available, the edge (at this time) would have to go to the 300 Weatherby or improved Weatherbys for 1000 yard match shooting. For LR hunting the edge would go to the 300 RUM or the Tomahawk. Sort of take your pick.

If you chamber a Weatherby make sure there is very little freebore in it, not like the factory stuff.

Good luck
DC
Old 09-26-2002, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Darryl. I e-mailed you through the board earlier today, keep an eye out for my question. I am interested in just why the paper goes to the wthby and the hunting edge goes to the 300UM and tomahawk? Is it just a velocity/powder capacity difference, or is it just less inherent accuracy with the 2 latter cartridges? I may wish to try my hand at some benchrest shooting and would prefer to have a more accurate cartridge, even to hunt at 1000 with, while relying on my ability to place the shot than just to have the extra power with less paper appeal. Is think that was what you were saying, right? I will ask thousands of questions of the people who know the real story, before I buy any components. Thanks for any help/knowledge you may bestow upon me. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Darryl,

Whose 300 Wby brass do you favor?
VH
Old 09-26-2002, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

JustC,
Im at 280 rounds down the tube. Accuracy has been best during the last 80 rounds but it is mostly due to the bedding I think. I was very particular during the first hundred rounds or so, Did the one shot clean for the first 20 then after every 3 to 5 for that first hundred. Since then I go 12 to 20 before cleaning. Patches are clear after about 4 passes of shooters choice. About every other cleaning I hit it with sweets. I leave SC in the bore overnight when finished shooting for the day then patch out and apply BreakFree CLP the next day. I guess I keep it clean. I wish my 22-250 rem cleaned up as easy.
Good luck on your choice, IMO all overbores are great!
HPA