Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

new guy here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Gold Member
Re: new guy here

Hi Eddy, Hi Roe and welcome.
I think you may be refering to the date printed under the members name, this date is when the member registered on the site.
The date of the post is in the title bar directly above the post itself.
Does your budget include scope and mounts etc?
If not i would recccomend a Sako stainless varmint but if your budget does include optics then a Remmy is the way to go and you will still have enough for some quality glass.

PS. If you like the Cooper why not another one of them and easily within your budget.

Unread 01-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Bronze Member

Well im pretty new to this stuff also Roe... to tell the truth I dont even know what glass is.

So guys, what is glass? Why do you keep mentioning it?

Unread 01-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Silver Member

Glass = Scope
Unread 01-01-2007, 02:32 PM

Hi Centre Punch,
Yes you are correct (what a dick head I am). If Roe is still searching for Info I can recommend the Remmy 700 LVSF which comes with a Bell and Carlson Pillar Bedded stock. I have one in .308 and can't fault it, the only thing I did was change the stock for a pillar bedded Laminated Bdl stock because I like the Bdl as opposed to the Adl and I had all the fittings and a Laminated stock I liked the look of.
A BDS trainer was watching me about to zero some Winchester 180 grn round nose ammo on the range one day and said the barrel was too short to stabilise such a long round, I just grinned and put three rounds in 1/2" group at 100yds, corrected the 'scope , put another three in quick succesion, not such a tight group but good enough for what I wanted at the time and packed up and went home. Flat base bullets tend to stabilise at shorter ranges than boat tail I find !! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Unread 01-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Bronze Member

thanks for all the replys made me feel very welcome .im afraid my budget for both gun and scope is 1400 so the remington vsf is looking like the most likely have read a bit about it and it seems to have a good reputaion i also really like the look of it.col48 thanks for the offer but im afraid i could not aford one of your guns but maybe some time in the future when i start my new job.
Unread 01-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

hi roe
1400 should get you a nice bit of kit to do the job well.
i have heard good things about the howa as well as the ones that have all ready been mentioned.

what kind of distance are we talking, and is it going to be a carry rifle IE stalking or target or what.

if i was going to have a factory stick i would factor in to your price a new crown and a bedding job, as this will be cash well spent. your new crown should not cost any more than 45 and should be less than that, bedding seems to be about 100 to 160 but i would not pay any more than 140 for it. a trigger tweak might all so be required.

hope this is of some help, but first thing i would do is see how she shoots first then take it from there but try to save a bit for the above.
if you go for new scope then i may be able to save you a few if i can/ it depends on what make you go for.send me a email if i can help you out i will

best of luck with your choice

Unread 01-02-2007, 04:17 AM
Bronze Member

col48 the rifle would be used for target and vermin shooing out to about 600 yards deer stalking also but at less distance the part of scotland i live in is very flat and long shots when hutnig can often be the only choice at times also just like the the challenge of being able to hit hoodie crows at long disance.
can you reccommend a good scope for this use i currently have a 6 to 20 by 50 leopuld with varmint hunters reticule on my 6mmppc and really like that.thanks