Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

new guy here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2007, 04:44 AM
Bronze Member

new guy here

hello everyone have been browsing this site for a while now think its great so much imformation.
anyway i live in the far north of scotland and hunt deer crows and foxses .i am currently shooting a cooper 6mmppc that i love for its accuaracy but we dont get great weather in this corner of the world and i find it very hard to hit targets consistently at long range because of the wind.
so i am looking to get a 308 as my first long range hunting rifle .i am on a budget of under 1400 and so far really like the look of the remington vsf has anone any experience with this rifle or could anyone suggest another rifle in this price baracket.thanks alot
Old 01-01-2007, 06:23 AM
Bronze Member

Re: new guy here

The Remingtons are great rifles but also keep the Savages in mind. The Savages cost less and are probably the most accurate out of the box factory rifle. I have 10 Savages, mostly in small varmit caliburs(for praire dogs) and they all shot great right out of the box. I also have several Remingtons in the Sendero rifle and love them equally, but if I were on a budget, and wanted to get the most for my money, I would probably pick a Savage, and spend the money I saved on a better scope. Just my 2 cents.

RidgeRooster
Old 01-01-2007, 06:38 AM

Hi Roe, I'm new here too. I have recently bought a remmy LVSF in .308 and find it very good indeed at ranges up to 250yds, haven't had call to use it any further yet.
For several years I have been using a Remmy VLS in .243, this came with a 26" hvy barrel so I cut off 4" and got it threaded for a T8 sound moderator. Now this I can recommend for accuracy, again only out to 250yds but there is very little I miss with that. The only reason I got the LVSF in .308 was because It is lighter and I thought a .308 would cover all the quarry I have access to so may be able use one rifle.
Good luck with your decision but Remmys are KING in my book.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:42 AM

Crikey, I've just taken note of the dates of the previous posts - Roe has probably made his decision, bought his rifle and wore it out by now! anyway like I said, I'm new here so be kind to me!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Silver Member

hi
personally for the cash you are talking i could build you a very good long range tool. well long range for us in the UK anyway.
i am putting together custom rigs for about 1800 2000 depending on speck. Lawton or a stiller predator action and a loather barrel and so on. but if your budget is for scope and the lot then we are not playing in the same ball park. if not then for a few more you can have a rifle built to your specks within reason.
i will be ordering a few actions (Lawton) in the next week or 2 so shoot me a email if you are interested
col48@ukonline.co.uk

thanks
Colin
Old 01-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Bronze Member

Welcome Roe, hope you have fun here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 01-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Bronze Member

Happy New Year to you all.
Welcome to the fold roe.
I would look for a Winchester Stealth in 308,Put some good glass on it ,And it will do every thing you want.
Look to reload for the 308.Many excellent 30 caliber rounds available for all applications.No shortage of information on this forum.
Good luck