Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New Gun...Shooting Tomorrow!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New Gun...Shooting Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fingervic View Post
Tank, you talked about using the heavier .308 bullets. I was thinking about trying the Hornady 208 A-Max's with some IMR 4350. Could that round do double duty? Hunting and Target?

Yep... sure will. That is why I currently use it in my 300WSM. It gives me the ballistics that I am looking for, for long range target and hunting. This rifle is a dedicated long range varminter and deer rifle. My farthest to date is 630yrds and 605yrds through the melon of a groundhog. I have hits on steel at 1070yrds. Not quite the group I was looking for, but that was later to be found out it was the barrel going bad. Some will say not to use them short range, and I can agree to a point, but if you take soft body shots and try not to put them through the shoulders you will be okay. The head is always a quick kill too! Now at farther distances, enough speed will be scrubbed off that it will act more appropriately for hard target hits like the shoulders and the like. I would suggest 400+ yards for pinning the shoulders.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Silver Member

Thanks I'm new to reloading. I have most of the things that I need. I was looking for a bullet, hopefully my gun likes them. Any advise or things I should know about the reloading these?
Old 01-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fingervic View Post
Thanks I'm new to reloading. I have most of the things that I need. I was looking for a bullet, hopefully my gun likes them. Any advise or things I should know about the reloading these?
Yep, use the bullet seater and put in the brass!!!! ;) Just kidding!!!

I haven't had much luck stuffing them into the lands. I generally seat them about .015 to .010" from the lands. You may be able to seat closer and if you are stuffing it in to a magazine then you might be able to seat them farther. You'll have to just play around. What I do is set the desired length and do load tests (3 rnds. per load) moving in .5grn increments. I generally find an accuracy node this way. Then I test it again with a 5 shot string to verify.

Make sure you pressure test first finding your max load. Not owning a 300WM my loads in the WSM are about 10grns. less powder.

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Yep, use the bullet seater and put in the brass!!!! ;) Just kidding!!!

I haven't had much luck stuffing them into the lands. I generally seat them about .015 to .010" from the lands. You may be able to seat closer and if you are stuffing it in to a magazine then you might be able to seat them farther. You'll have to just play around. What I do is set the desired length and do load tests (3 rnds. per load) moving in .5grn increments. I generally find an accuracy node this way. Then I test it again with a 5 shot string to verify.

Make sure you pressure test first finding your max load. Not owning a 300WM my loads in the WSM are about 10grns. less powder.

Tank
in a .300 wm it can be dangerous to go to low(big muzzle flashes and high pressures)!

start at minimum recommended specs and work up. i too use the .5 grain method then go to tenths and seating depths.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by load View Post
in a .300 wm it can be dangerous to go to low(big muzzle flashes and high pressures)!

start at minimum recommended specs and work up. i too use the .5 grain method then go to tenths and seating depths.

I know that, but mag length should not be an issue. The greater issue is the length of the tip to ogive that would cause it to jump quite a bit. The bullet measures 1.521" which is a fairly long bullet. Almost half of that length is the taper to the ogive.

I have read an article on 6mmbr.com where a guy using a .284 Win. actually seats a hair bellow the ogive because the bullet is to long to seat to the lands. If I remember correctly, he is using the 162 A-Max. If you work the powder up slowly, pressures should be seen before it becomes a safety issue. I have a feeling that mag length would not seat his bullet that deeply.

Tank

Old 01-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry, but I don't see where you tell us what the name and model of scope you have there.

joseph
Old 01-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Sorry, but I don't see where you tell us what the name and model of scope you have there.

joseph
Joe, I don't know if you're asking me or Load. I have a Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50. Load's scope is a Millet lrs-1, i think.