Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New Gun...Shooting Tomorrow!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Gold Member

Re: New Gun...Shooting Tomorrow!

let us know how it goes.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Did you shoot it yet? I want to know how that new break from Savage is working. Inquiring minds want to know.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

First of all, let me say that I'm far from experienced. I only shot ten rounds due to all the cleaning. I need an adjustable cheek piece on this gun. I used a hunting glove on top oF the butt to give me a cheek weld(ish). I used another glove and my hand to rest the rear of the gun. The front has a Harris bipod on it. I was shooting prone.

Ok, brass tax, the gun shot great. I used the remove the bolt and look through the barrel technique of bore sighting. My first shot was an inch from the X, high and to the left. The next 3 shots were about 2.5 inches high and left, in a small cluster measuring .509 end to end on my digital calipers. I was just using some Winchester "big game" ammo. Is that a .201 group? I was pretty excited about the group, and didn't want to mess it up, so I pulled it down, and used another target. Pretty juvenile, I know. The next 6 shots measured .877. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

Oh, I almost forgot. The break/recoil pad combo on this rifle makes it very comfortable to shoot. A guy at the range, said that it was loud. From the shooter position it didn't seem too bad. I shot this cal. before, in the configuration it was a lot less punishing.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Gold Member

Vic, sounds like you're well on your way to having a real shooter. Now, take your time and finish up the process. This one deserves it.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman View Post
Vic, sounds like you're well on your way to having a real shooter. Now, take your time and finish up the process. This one deserves it.

I was pleasantly surprised with it's performance. I will definitely finish the process.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

That's good to hear. Your the first to shed any light on this new series of rifle. Wish I could be there to experience it with you. I am always hungry to try new equipment. Just can't afford to do it. Thanks for the heads up.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!