Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New Gun!!! She's a shooter.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

New Gun!!! She's a shooter.

I just got my new project gun yesterday. It's starting it's life as a FNH Patrol Bolt. I'm impressed thus far on how it shoots. I broke the barrel in today with ammo I had lying around, and components that just happened to be on my bench. I threw together some 180 Sierra Game Kings, and a random charge of Benchmark. I just made sure my charge thrower would be between min and max, and went to town. That load ended up shooting .25" groups consistently at 100 all with an 8 pound trigger. I can't wait to see what it will do with Lapua brass, 175 MK's, and a solid weekend of load development.
I have my McMillan a-5. I just need to get it inletted, pillar bedded, and glass bedded with Devcon. I'm also going to get the trigger tuned down to a pound or so, and throw in a Tubb firing pin. I think this stock barrel will do until I get my Bartlein or Orbermeyer. I've never owned a Winchester bolt gun, and am digging them thus far.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Bronze Member

Re: New Gun!!! She's a shooter.

Very impressive. Keep us posted as you develop loads.