Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New found knowledge... Tested!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New found knowledge... Tested!

When I first got my .338 Edge from Kirby I found a load that was consistently well under 1/2moa at 100yards with a 300SMK kissing the lands. I stuck with this load until I shot it at 1000yards and noticed a solid 1moa verticle stringing. While shooting at 1000 I was also chronoing every shot and noticed up to 40fps difference in the rounds fired. I seated my bullets .1 deeper and even though my 100yard groups open up to stay in the 1/2moa range, my groups at distance shrank along with my velocity spread. This is just my experience. I also learned how important a chronograph is to use in load developement. That and 100yard groups mean little at long distance.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

I usually recommend that for American made brass that you weight sort it and and then when you shoot it you throw away the goofy ones.

Here is a video of a guy testing for the "goofy ones".

YouTube - Case Sorting @ 1000 Yards #1
Old 04-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Well the new seating depth proved deadly to a groundhog today. Bested my longest by 18yrds at 648yrds. Little booger made it back in the hole where I shot it, but there was blood all over the ground, the post it was in front of and meat chunks in the grass. I have found the pot of gold in my rifle. I would try seating deeper, but I'm afraid of changing the seating depth on my die!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Well the new seating depth proved deadly to a groundhog today. Bested my longest by 18yrds at 648yrds. Little booger made it back in the hole where I shot it, but there was blood all over the ground, the post it was in front of and meat chunks in the grass. I have found the pot of gold in my rifle. I would try seating deeper, but I'm afraid of changing the seating depth on my die!

Tank
Way to go Tank! It's still a mystery to me how this all works with better accuracy at 100 at one depth and better seated out for long range? Could be just a velocity thing as someone previously posted......Rich
Old 04-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Way to go Tank! It's still a mystery to me how this all works with better accuracy at 100 at one depth and better seated out for long range? Could be just a velocity thing as someone previously posted......Rich

I wish I could explain to you how it all works out, but just does. My cousin is having problems with 300SMK's in his Lapua. He tried the various recipes and lengths posted on this sight, but none has worked very well yet (I think part of it is recoil, but who knows. He needs a break on it!). So he is going to try the deeper seating depth and see what he gets.

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 05-01-2010, 07:00 AM
Silver Member

Hey Tank ,just have to say thanks a ton for posting this. I am new to the LR shooting style and currently working with a Sav mod 11. Just re-barrelled it with a 26 inch douglas from SSS, have approx. 100 rounds down the tube,thats counting the first shoot and clean breakin shots as well as the load test groups. In a nut shell things have gone well but after reading your post I tried some loads again and seated the bullets deeper like 2.888 coal for a 300wsm with 175 and 190 vld hunting over R 17 and R 19 the groups tightened up,thanks again.
Paul
Old 05-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin lizard View Post
Hey Tank ,just have to say thanks a ton for posting this. I am new to the LR shooting style and currently working with a Sav mod 11. Just re-barrelled it with a 26 inch douglas from SSS, have approx. 100 rounds down the tube,thats counting the first shoot and clean breakin shots as well as the load test groups. In a nut shell things have gone well but after reading your post I tried some loads again and seated the bullets deeper like 2.888 coal for a 300wsm with 175 and 190 vld hunting over R 17 and R 19 the groups tightened up,thanks again.
Paul

Not a problem. I like to share what I learn!

Tank