Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New to forum..Need advice on barrel size and length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 11:13 AM

New to forum..Need advice on barrel size and length

Well I am new to this forum and is my first post but seems to be a very helpful place for information so I decided to join...

I am having a 7 Ultra Mag built and my question is what size of barrel would yall recommend? I am going to go with a Krieger. My gunsmith was kinda in the air about barrel size. He said he would go with either a 24" #4 or a 26" #3. I just want to make sure I am getting the right barrel for me and my needs and I know very little when it comes to building a rifle. Any advice or info is appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New to forum..Need advice on barrel size and length

I'd do at the very least a 28"

Why would you choose to build a high performance rig and then handicap it with a short barrel? 24" is way to short IMHO.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:35 AM

Magman, thanks for the reply. I was kinda thinking that 24" was too short as well but like I said I'm not as educated as most when it comes to building a rifle. It will be used only for hunting and not for a bench and I think is why my gunsmith recommended going with a little shorter barrel so it's not as bulky.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Bronze Member

what are your needs out of this build. where are you going to be carrying it to and from(spot and stalk, stand hunting or a walking rifle) that will help you pick what is right for you instead right for us
Old 12-04-2008, 11:54 AM

gahlizard, I hunt mainly for whitetail in NW Texas where it is wide open which makes for long range shooting (well long range for me) out to 450yds. I will mainly be in a deer blind so I won't be walking much even though I do so from time to time. But I am also building this gun for future elk hunts, muley hunts or even a canadian whitetail hunt.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Kamp, I'm sorry if my post may have come off as abrasive.

In all reality a deer at 500 yards won't know the difference between a 7mm RUM, STW, Dakota or even the WSM.

If you're looking for a big heavy rig I'd say go with a long barreled RUM.

If you're looking to conserve weight for a mid-weight rifle I'd have no fear in doing a 22-24" 7mm WSM.

At 500 you might be talking about 5-6" (didn't check, just guessing) of difference in drop between the calibers I listed. In my eyes that isn't a big deal.

Just some thoughts.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:48 PM

Magman, your post was perfectly ok. I am here to learn so give me all you got. I already have a 7wsm which I like a great deal but am wanting to get something with more punch. I am thinking the longer barrel might be what I need to go with especially for the type of hunting I do. And I did not know that the two calibers were that close ballistically out to that range. Thanks for the info.