Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New Factory Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 07:49 PM

New Factory Rifle

Ok, I need some reassuring or assistance however it may be in regards to a new rifle. Ive got the nod to get myself a new rifle for chirstmas and im gettin a varminter. Ive got a decent long range deer gun, savage 110FP in .300 win. in a choate varminter stock, but ive never owned a smalle caliber centerfire.

So, i know im asking an opinion, but I ask that it be based on fact, what is the best factory, out of the box gnats ass hittin .223 on the market? i mean, not a kimber, or a shilen or custom gun, but Tikka, Remington, Savage, winchester, browning what? Im actually leaning toward a TC icon in .22-250. They dont offer the weather warrior in .223, and thats what I really want, but that Icon has awesome reviews and i like that theres a rail built into the reciever housing.

Any input from individuals with experience would help, and if you have one of these guns, post up some groups, honest center average groups. Im not important enough to lie to, and i dont care what a gun will do once, I want reliability as well.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: New Factory Rifle

Go with the Rem. I've owned 2 .223 heavy varminter's and I shot sub moa before I did any work to them. I'd stay away from Winchester or Browning. (just my opinion) Also Savage is right at the top as well. If you ask me, Remington or Savage.The Rem 700 SA is hard to beat. I'm sure most of the guys on here would agree
Dustin
Old 12-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Gold Member

I just picked up a 243. win in a Remington model 700 sps topped with Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44mm and it is sweet so far.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

In a 223, Rem SPS Varmint or a Savage 12 FV would be decent places to start looking. Savage has a faster twist which lets you use some higher BC bullets. Both are good foundations for upgrading.

Rem offers the faster twist in 223 on a the VTR and a couple other models.

We build rifles, but on a whim I picked up a Stevens 200 .223 ($280), put in a trigger ($90) and it holds under MOA. With a decent stock it would probably really shine.

Not much experience with the Icon or Tikka.

Regardless of brand or model, factory gun accuracy is like a box of chocolates.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Gold Member

You should add one more to your list. I've owned a lot of rifles, but the most accurate out of the box factory rifle I've ever had my hands on was an Interarms Mini Mark-X sporter-weight .223. The first 5 factory loads I tried in it all shot sub .5", 1 was at .25" and 2 loads produced ragged 1-hole patterns.

I had a bull barrel Rem 700 varminter in .22-250 that would shoot 1/2" all day long but this cheap little sporter outshot it every time they faced off.

Next on my list, and way ahead of a stock Remington is a Savage with the Accu-triger & Accu-stock. The first 2 modifications you would need to do to a Rem 700 are already there. You have a great stock & very good trigger. Savages have been accused of being ugly, but they SHOOT.

With light weight rifles, Tikkas generally outshoot Remingtons but I've never dealt with a varmint weight Tikka.

Remington Varmint rifles tend to shoot well, but sometimes it takes work & a few trips to the gunsmith ($$$) to get them to be tack drivers.

I've never seen or heard of a Winchester varmint rifle that wasn't a tack driver. As Winchester keeps reinventing itself, I have no idea what their current varmint rifle is.

Hope this helps without confusing you too much.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Bronze Member

if you go the remington route, keep in mind there factory specs. for accuracy is 2 inches at 100 yds. I'd highly reccomend the savage. most likely you'll get a rifle that will shoot the way you would expect a custom gun to.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Silver Member

Thompson Center also has the Icon Precision Hunter which is worth a good hard look. Comes with a 22 inch fluted barrel. All of the work on these rifles is already done for you. Floated and bedded in varmint style laminate stock. Guaranteed accuracy as well. It would certainly make my short list along side the Remington VSSF II.

My short list would consist of these three in no particular order

Thompson Center Icon Precision Hunter
Remington VSSF II
Savage Predator