Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

new custom cant get to shoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: new custom cant get to shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
Long-Range Load Development

Here's a good article on load workup. There are several ways to skin a cat, but this one is a good one.

Well that was interesting. Thanks!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

Re: new custom cant get to shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4XFore View Post
I can't offer any advice that hasn't been given. But I do want to say a couple of things. Foster_65: That was a very generous offer that coyboy made you. If you can possibly find a way to accept it, you would be a fool not to. Cummins cowboy: For someone who joined this forum only 3 months ago and has but 32 posts, you make some pretty strong statements. Tikka's are very nice factory rifles, as are Sako's. They use barrels out of the same bin. But neither of them can match a quality custom. If you have ever looked at how a Tikka is assembled, especially their recoil lug, you probably wouldn't have made that comparison. I can't speak for ALL gunsmiths, but the one's on this forum DO guarantee 1/2 moa accuracy, or it doesn't leave their shop. Period. Although customs can be as difficult to find a load for as any other rifle, most of the time they aren't. If the smith is worth his salt, he will have tested the gun for grouping ability and given his customer at least one load that will duplicate his guarantee. 'nuff said.

so I guess this forum is the only gun related one out there?? say what you want about tikkas, about how the recoil lugs sucks, the mag is plastic and everything else is plastic and how that sucks. I have owned 3 tikkas, my first one a 30-06 will aggregate .5 moa with 4 different bullets and 3 different powerders on the same day, and those were not ladder loads, just ones I picked from the book loaded and shot. next up a 204 ruger varmint, it shoots .5 moa with 32 vmaxs and 40 grain vmax hornaday factory loads. next up a 243 first time out shot a 3/8" ragged hole on the first group I shot after site in with 55 grain federal factory loads.

the point is I have owned customs 4 total built by big name smiths that have built match winning rifles. yeah some are as accurate as the tikkas but they required ladder loads to beat them and nothing shoots everything well like the tikkas do, at least from what I have seem, when you get to .5 or even 2's or 3's with a factory 6.5# gun you don't feel the need to ladder test the loads further, so I never have done that with a tikka.

there are some gunsmiths that offer a .5 moa guarantee with lighter rifles, but they want a ton of money to do it in most cases, ie 5k or so and my guess is they have to replace a few barrels that don't meet that. other makes like for instance GAP also offers a .5 moa guarantee but keep in mind the much heavier barrel.