Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

new custom cant get to shoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: new custom cant get to shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster_65 View Post
well the rl 17 was a load i loaded earlier this winter. i have read how the rl powders are sensitive and this is why i switche dto h 1000 and have been using this since. like i said i did have 2 4 shot groups at about .75 moa and that was by far the best. this was with 69 grains. i started from 67 and went up to 70 in one grain increments. i am thinking i should try a couple loads at maybe 68.7 and 69.3 and see what happens. then if that doesnt have a whole of effect i will steat the bullets a bit deeper and see what happens. i switched to the Hodgdon extremr powders for the consistance reasons. looks like ill have to buy another box of bergers and some H4831
My 6.5 will not shoot the Bergers unless they are jammd into the lands about .010". It makes a BIG difference in group size. Just close, does not work in my rifle and I know of several others that are the same. Give it a try....Rich
Old 02-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Silver Member

here is the real story that no one on the internet seems to tell, for whatever reason not all customs turn out the way you would want. I personally don't think alot of customs shoot that much better or even as well as many factory guns. to expect a sporter weight barrel to shoot 1/2 moa in all conditions is asking for too much IMO. could it turn out to shoot that well, yeah, but to guarantee it thats a tall order with thin barrel and a magnum case as being other factors.

I don't think a gunsmith could consistently put out rifles that shoot as well as most tikkas do on average. if they had to make a rifle of similar weight. the other thing is be careful of people bragging about how their gun shoots, yeah it may produce a good group, but what happens if they shot that great group at 80 degrees, how great is the group at 40 degrees??

I once had a remington 700 270 win that used to shoot decent groups of about 3/4 moa the for whatever reason I could not get it too shoot anymore, had the crown redid, glass bedded, scope changed nothing, but it would shoot winchester power points right at MOA, having never owned a custom I had the barrel changed to a #5 krieger guess what NOTHING changed in fact power points were still about all it would shoot, it did shoot a federal 140 grain accubond load to slightly over MOA. I was pretty disappointed to say the least. finally I ordered another #5 barrel and sent the gun to greg tannel he worked over the action and it came back shooting in the .3's with one of the first loads I tried.

bottom line is many times a factory gun will outshoot a custom. don't believe that everyones gun will shoot .5moa on any give day.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Bronze Member

cummins
i sort of agree with you. i read alot on this site and you hardly ever here of a custom that doesnt shoot sub moa. maybe i am asking to much and probably am. i guess its a hard to reality to come to when you spend that kinda money on a custom rig. but i am going to stay optimistic and keep trying. whats the worst that could happen, i burn the barrel and have to re barrel it?? yes i will have spent alot of money on components but wth at least i had fun doing it. i can spend a heck of alot of money at to bar in a night to. haha. i guess there is worse stuff to i could spend money on. ;)

i think i have gotten some very good advice on this thread so far and am excited to try them. after this weekend the rifle goes back to wisconsin for my dad to shoot. he is retired and with all there snow, he doesnt have anything better to do, so he can spend more time than i, plus he has a range at his house so it much more easy for him. i will implement what i ahve been told; only change one thing at a time, and see where i get.

thanks to everyone for all the help and if you can think of anything else please chime in. i love any info i can get.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Foster, Dude tell ya what. Load up your ragged hole load at the oal it shot best at.

load at least 30 of them. You or your dad shoot it and confirm it as good to go.

Send your dad to my shop, with rifle, I am in the exact center of Wisconsin. I will inspect the rifle for free. I will measure your money round and if it is a fit for the wyatts magazine box I will instal it for $85 while your Dad waits.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Bronze Member

will do, what town are you in
Old 02-14-2011, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

click on my signature and you will link my web page
Pittsville
Old 02-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Jim,

Will that same conversion typically work for a 6.5x284 in a short action for 140's seated out to the lands?

Or, do you really need a long action for a repeater?

Thanks!
Richard