Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

new custom cant get to shoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: new custom cant get to shoot

Last time I had that problem it turned out to be stress on the action and scope due to using two peice bases on a remington action. After switching to a 1 peice base and bedding it to the action (key being bedding it) the problem went away.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.

Last edited by Michael Eichele; 02-14-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

I am not pointing fingers at any barrel manufacturer, but if it were me I would be ordering a new barrel. I beat my head against the wall on my last build with a story alot like yours. I ordered another barrel and had it installed and the rifle shoots extremely well now. It just shouldn't be this hard to find the load. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck.... well, you know.

PS. Just FYI, the barrel I had that would not shoot was not a Lilja. But I really believe this. Most all manufacturers can make a good barrel, but any can make a bad one too.

Jeff
Old 02-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Bronze Member

that is interesting. i have never heard of that problem. i have the leupold 2 piece bases. has anyone else had this problem??

eddy what increments are you seating them?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I am not pointing fingers at any barrel manufacturer, but if it were me I would be ordering a new barrel. I beat my head against the wall on my last build with a story alot like yours. I ordered another barrel and had it installed and the rifle shoots extremely well now. It just shouldn't be this hard to find the load. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck.... well, you know.

PS. Just FYI, the barrel I had that would not shoot was not a Lilja. But I really believe this. Most all manufacturers can make a good barrel, but any can make a bad one too.

Jeff

unfortunately i am starting to beleive this. what a disappointment. i really hope this is not the case but as many rounds as i have sent down the tube, you woulda thought i would have stumbled on to something by now.... well i wont be able to afford a new barrel for awhile so i guess ill still keep tryin
Old 02-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

try the barnes TTSX as they are not sensitive to seating depth as last straw.

Try some Hornady bullets. they tend to be on the fat side and some barrels require a fatter bullet.

BH
Old 02-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

What was the oal of your ragged hole berger load?

Have one of these fitted and be done.
mbefour
Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster_65 View Post
unfortunately i am starting to beleive this. what a disappointment. i really hope this is not the case but as many rounds as i have sent down the tube, you woulda thought i would have stumbled on to something by now.... well i wont be able to afford a new barrel for awhile so i guess ill still keep tryin
If you had a load that shot a "ragged hole group" it doesn't seem to me that you would have a barrel problem?....Rich