Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

new custom cant get to shoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Bronze Member

Re: new custom cant get to shoot

i am full length sizing and bumping the shoulder back .002. i did have a great load with the bergers and rl 17 but the bullets were seated long and would not fit in the mag. so i could go back to that but it would be a single shot and i really dont want that. i am not fussy on bullet type just a good hunting bullet for large mulies.

well i havent talked to the smith since i shot those good groups with the bergers seated long. he was there when i shot them. just looking for the capability to shoot more than one shot
Old 02-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Do you know what all was done besides a custom barrel and the action bedded? Did the gunsmith square the action, barrel and lugs? I had a 721 Remington with TWO different Lilja barrels, an H-S stock, etc. and I never could get it to shoot under an inch. I found out that all the smith did was lap the lugs. I highly suspect the problem was the action since the chance of getting two bad Lilja barrels was near zero! I'm not saying that is your problem; I hope it isn't. Let us know. Good luck........Rich
p.s. just noticed in your above post that you did shoot one good group with the bullets seated out. That is a GOOD sign. My guns only shoot Bergers seated into the lands.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with the other guys .5 grain increments or your likly waisting alot of time.
H1000 and rl-25 are not the ideal powders in the 7wsm. especially with a short barrel. (I am assuming you don't have a 26" #3, you said sporter.)

I would start with h4831sc and if that didn't work would try H4350.

Did the smith instal a wyatts extended mag box? Thats a neccesity in the wsm cartriges in SA.

Are you shooting off a bipod or sandbags?

What power scope? If it is a 9-10 power you might try a 20x for load development and switch it after you find the load.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Good cleaning with copper remover and carbon cutter to remove the carbon ring in the throat.

Try RL17, non magnum primers and Barnes TTSX seated well off the lands to fit in the existing magazine. Another powder is H4350

If I understood correctly, you have one load that shoots good but too long.

Otherwise I would say change scopes and have someone else shoot the gun to see if they get the same results.

BH
Old 02-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Bronze Member

i am unsure if he blue printed the action, i guess i just assumed he did. yes i did have a load that would shoot one ragged hole with the bergers using rl 17 but they would not fit in the mag well. and it is the factory mag well. i am pretty confident the rifle is clean, as i never let it go more than 20 rounds and it seems that after 20 there is not very much fouling. using KG 12 and butches for the carbon. i ahve not tried h4831 or h4350 but did try both in the IMR but not extensively. my dad is in wi and i know he has some h4831 layin around and im gonna let him take the rifle with him for some more developement. its hard to find days that arnt windy here in ND. i have been doing both using sand bags and off a pod. when i use the bi pod i have bags in the back. my scope is a leupold mark 4 4.5-14.

i am thinking about trying some hornady 162 btsp. would H4831 be good powder to start with.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

I would suggest the 162 SST's. They are going to give you better ballistics than the SPBT. The 162 A-max or new BTHP might be a good option. Pick one and go for it.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

VLDs are seating depth sensitive, but do not have to be seated in the lands. Take the load that was working you seat it to the magazine, and then keep going shorter keeping an eye on pressures. I have a couple berger loads that are seated very short.