Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

which new caliber for 13 yr old

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-10-2008, 12:52 AM

Re: which new caliber for 13 yr old

Thanks for all the (spirited) replies. I've been thinking alot about this.Here are my conclusions. First I should clarify that this next gun will not be a do it all caliber. It will just be another step up. With that in mind I think I lean more towards the good old 30-06 or 270. Then if there is a need/desire I'll move him up again, maybe to one of the 300 mags.

Thanks again for all the advice. I'll let you all know how this progresses for my son. I really do enjoy forums like this. I've found everybody to be very caring and thoughtfull, especially when it comes to helping out with kids.

Thanks all Cole

Unread 09-10-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole View Post
Thanks for all the (spirited) replies. I've been thinking alot about this.Here are my conclusions. First I should clarify that this next gun will not be a do it all caliber. It will just be another step up. With that in mind I think I lean more towards the good old 30-06 or 270. Then if there is a need/desire I'll move him up again, maybe to one of the 300 mags.

Thanks again for all the advice. I'll let you all know how this progresses for my son. I really do enjoy forums like this. I've found everybody to be very caring and thoughtfull, especially when it comes to helping out with kids.

Thanks all Cole
Very good choice cole you can't go wrong with either regardless of what some may say. Load a premium bullet of acceptable weight like a partition or Barnes TSX and you and your son will be fine...Good Luck

P.S.

I am sorry for my part in the tit for tat earlier and hope it didn't distract too much from your purpose.
Unread 09-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole View Post

Thanks all Cole

The '06 would be an excellent choice, for the same reasons I gave for the 300WSM. Since you reload, he can get a ton of practice. The only cons for the '06 is its a long action, which will make the rifle just a bit longer for the same length barrel and a little heavier than the WSM.

I look forward to hearing about the new rifle. Wish your son the best from me.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Unread 09-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Bronze Member

Cole,

I agree with AJ Peacock. Except I believe the 7mm-08 to be at the bottom of the list for Elk, not off the list. You reload, so go big and load reduced loads. As he gets older, he can grow into the rifle. If you are really well off and can buy lots of guns, buy until your heart is content, otherwise, buy one gun and make the loads work for you.

Good words Peacock!
Unread 06-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

For what it's worth, my first hunting rifle when I was 11 (Can hunt at 12 in my great state) was a Savage package gun in .270 win. I still use that gun for a lot of my hunting and so far it has accounted for 3 elk and 4 deer (I pretty much took hunting off during high school and college). Recoil has always been manageable for me, even though at the earliest stage of our relationship I was so tiny I had to run around in the shower to get wet! Loaded with 130 grain bullets I've had nothing but 1 shot kills out to 400 yards. One thing I would recommend though for any sort of high volume shooting would be an additional recoil pad. I used a PAST gel shoulder pad if I was going to be shooting more than 10 rounds at a time up until I was about 17. Definitely helped to take the bite out of recoil against my bony frame and was a lot more comfortable than 4 sweaters and a coat for summer shooting sessions.
Unread 06-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

I am a little late to this thread but I thought the 280 Rem sounded like a good fit. The same case as the 270 and 06 with a better selection of high BC bullets. The 150 grain ETip (.498 BC) or 154 grain Interbond (.525 BC) comes to mind for a good lower recoil elk round.

It can be loaded to 7mm-08 levels now and you can give it the AI treatment later if you want a little better performance. He may never need or want an upgrade when he is older.
Unread 07-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

also late to the thread, but as someone who has come across this same thing last year (my buddy's wife is small and was getting into shooting) i thought I could say my piece. She shoots a .300 win mag after starting with 06 level loads. It worked well for her. But then again she's not 13 and is a bit heavier (115lbs). At 13 i know that I was capable of shooting a .338 win mag comfortably for about 20rnds. All in all I would agree with AJ, but if recoil becomes a big issue the 7-08 is a good minimum.