Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

which new caliber for 13 yr old

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-09-2008, 04:02 PM

Re: which new caliber for 13 yr old

Because the original poster didn't specify range I am wrong??? You are too funny. The original poster didnt specify a 300 WSM either so by your own criteria YOU ARE WRONG.

Anything the 7mm RM will do at the 300 the 08 will do at 200

It was a nice try though...LOL!!!

Unread 09-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoreDan View Post
Because the original poster didn't specify range I am wrong??? You are too funny. The original poster didnt specify a 300 WSM either so by your own criteria YOU ARE WRONG.

Anything the 7mm RM will do at the 300 the 08 will do at 200

It was a nice try though...LOL!!!
To the original poster, I would like to apologize for allowing my "to and fro" with BigBoreDan to distract from your question. I hope you get the answers you are looking for and I wish you and your son the greatest of luck in the future.
Sincerely,
AJ

BBD,
I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong (unfortunately for your ego, I'm not wrong this time). The original poster said (and I'll quote, since I abhor mis-quoting and you seem to have trouble reading) "Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated."

You either caught me on a bad day, or you are extremely good at being a d***head, maybe both. I've been on this forum for 3 years and more than 800 posts and I have never had anyone try so hard to argue with me over something so crazy as whether a 7mm-08 is a suitable elk rifle.

I'm sure that the 7mm-08 is used, and has been used successfully to take Elk sized game (I've seen it, but I don't recommend it). I've also seen elk taken with 22-250's ( I don't recommend that either).

For close range work, appropriately loaded, the 7mm-08 will work. Since the original poster reloads and already has a light rifle (.243), I still think it would be more financially efficient to get a larger rifle and simply download it for the short term, then let it grow with his son. If that route is chosen, the 300WSM is a fine choice. It is better than the 270WSM (mentioned in the original post) because of longer barrel life and better bullet selection.

AJ

ps: BBD, feel free to fill in your profile so we can get to know you a bit better. Maybe post some pictures of your rifles etc.

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Unread 09-09-2008, 09:57 PM
SPONSOR

How far do you want to shoot? Regardless of oppinions, I think a 140 grain 7mm TSX at 3000 fps would be fine, although I would prefer something bigger. How about a 30-06 with 220 or 240 grain bullets slow? For close range a 45-70 with hard cast bullets will punch a heck of a hole even going real slow. Either one would be low recoil.
Unread 09-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

Alright I'll be the odd man out here. My suggestion is the good old 6.5x55, load this round with some 140 grain VLD and it would make a good viable opinion on elk sized game. Now finding a factory rifle chambered in this caliber is going to be difficult however I know a couple of smiths that could put together something in this caliber for a reasonable price.

Some other opinions to consider would be:
260 Remington
284 Winchester
270 Winchester

All of these rounds will give your son a rifle capable of taking elk sized game in a non-magnum round. And as I have said before I champion the 6.5x55; the swiss have been using it as moose round for many years
Unread 09-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

My daughter is shooting a 7-08 with 140 AB's. She's been shooting it since she was 12. She has not shot an elk w/ it yet. She has shot several mule deer and antelope, most around 200yrds, all one shot kills. She shot an antelope buck last year at 500yrds, buck traveled about 50yrds. I am not against a 300yrd shot on an elk with this round. Although I would want it to be a good broad side shot with little wind.

I just had built for my 12 year old son a 6.5-06. I am loading 130 sciroccos at 2950fps. This round is very comfortable to shoot as long as the stock fits and has a good recoil pad. I think this round will handle elk out to 300yrds as well. We should find out this fall as he has a cow tag in Eastern MT.

If you are going to get him one rifle for the rest of his life, I would recommend the 30-06. Not too sexy, but will handle anything on the north American continent. Get a good modern rifle, load it down now, load it up later.

Steve

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
Unread 09-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Silver Member

I'd have to side with AJ on this one. I admit little knowledge on long range shooting, but elk hunting is my passion (30 + years elk hunting behind me). An elk is absolutely amazing at sucking up lead, then hauling out like nothing happened. They can cover large distance in very little time. I have seen a soon to be dead elk make it down one side of a gully and up the other to make it into the dark timber. It is very hard to track anything in dark timbered areas. The elk was recovered but it took 4 guys on their hands and knees at points, 3/4 of a day to do so. That was at best a life long lesson, "Never be under gunned while elk hunting!" I personally will never use anything smaller than a 30 cal ever again while elk hunting. By the way, that elk was shot with a 7mm remington mag. at aprox. 120 yards using a 160 gr bullet (not sure on the bullet make but it was about 20 years ago), it was double lung shot behind the front shoulder, upon field dressing we found a hole that looked as if the elk was shot by an arrow. Now don't get me wrong I know the 7mm mag is a great elk rifle, but my point is that when elk hunting, even when everything seems right, it can still go wrong. I would recommend a 30-06 for the young hunter. It is a very versatile round that is cheap to shoot so your son can practice with it a lot without busting your wallet. It can be loaded down if need be and has a great selection of bullets. More than adequate for all big game except those large bears everyone talks about. I still haven't out grown mine yet. If you go 7mm-08, you are boarder line for elk and in 3 years you or your son will be buying another rifle to upgrade. One more piece of advice while elk hunting, after that first shot, if the elk is still standing keep shooting!
Unread 09-09-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
I'd have to side with AJ on this one. I admit little knowledge on long range shooting, but elk hunting is my passion (30 + years elk hunting behind me). An elk is absolutely amazing at sucking up lead, then hauling out like nothing happened. They can cover large distance in very little time. I have seen a soon to be dead elk make it down one side of a gully and up the other to make it into the dark timber. It is very hard to track anything in dark timbered areas. The elk was recovered but it took 4 guys on their hands and knees at points, 3/4 of a day to do so. That was at best a life long lesson, "Never be under gunned while elk hunting!" I personally will never use anything smaller than a 30 cal ever again while elk hunting. By the way, that elk was shot with a 7mm remington mag. at aprox. 120 yards using a 160 gr bullet (not sure on the bullet make but it was about 20 years ago), it was double lung shot behind the front shoulder, upon field dressing we found a hole that looked as if the elk was shot by an arrow. Now don't get me wrong I know the 7mm mag is a great elk rifle, but my point is that when elk hunting, even when everything seems right, it can still go wrong. I would recommend a 30-06 for the young hunter. It is a very versatile round that is cheap to shoot so your son can practice with it a lot without busting your wallet. It can be loaded down if need be and has a great selection of bullets. More than adequate for all big game except those large bears everyone talks about. I still haven't out grown mine yet. If you go 7mm-08, you are boarder line for elk and in 3 years you or your son will be buying another rifle to upgrade. One more piece of advice while elk hunting, after that first shot, if the elk is still standing keep shooting!
There is an opinion I can respect. No ballyhoo no name calling no slipping and sliding. Please understand I by no means think the 7mm-08 is the "ideal" elk rifle. My only thought on the 7mm-08 was that it wouldn't abuse the lad and he could put the bullet where it belongs. a 30-06 with a 180gr or even a 200gr. would be great but might give him a case of the flinches. If he can handle it then it would be a better option the -08.

AJ when you grow up and wish to talk feel free to look me up. You keep dancing. First you said the original poster said nothing about range, which I don't know how you give any caliber advice without taking range and bullet selection into consideration, then you come back and say you were right because he said ANY advice. If that is the case then I AM as RIGHT as you are. You really should seek a career in politics because your backsliding is par excellance!!!!!!!!