Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

new build on a savage 300 r.u.m.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Gold Member

Re: new build on a savage 300 r.u.m.

It took me a while but I located and bought a 116 SS 300RUM today. Large Shank.

I want to set it up with DBM in 338 edge.

In the next week or so I will be contacting some companies to see what I can locate in the way of bottom metal. (If anyone knows for sure...let us know)

Then I need to locate a stock that can be inlet for the combo. I really dislike the plywood stocks so looking for synthetic...Is stockade the only option??

Just the luck of the draw that I did not locate one until I purchases a Remington SPS SS 300 RUM.....I really need to foster more patience!

I have to decide whether to keep or sell the SPS now,,,,,leaning towards keeping it and setting the Savage up as a switch barrel gun with a couple other barrels.....
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.

Last edited by Aldon; 02-15-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

The only place that makes a DBM for long action Savage is CDI.

Even then, it's only for 300win length cartridges.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Gold Member

Geargrinder, What do you think of taking the CDI and lengthening it by cutting and extending it? A little welding perhaps.

I have to see if I can locate a shop that will do some tig welding or something.

I might have to have the stock proffesinally inletted.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

Old 02-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldon View Post
Geargrinder, What do you think of taking the CDI and lengthening it by cutting and extending it? A little welding perhaps.

I have to see if I can locate a shop that will do some tig welding or something.

I might have to have the stock proffesinally inletted.
You're not only going to be limited by the magazine but also by the opening of the action.

It says that CDI uses AI magazines. AI also makes a 338 Lapua magazine. You might be able to alter the bottom metal, stock inlet and action opening to make the magazine work.

It will be a ton of work. It's easier to just use it single shot, or use an action more suited for the long cartridges.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:20 AM
Gold Member

That was what I was thinking as far as using the 338 lapua magazine and modifying the bottom metal. I think this is doable as long as I do not have to remove significant metal from the action.

I am going to try and call CDI this week and see if I can pick their brain.

It will be unique, and once complete I will not need to have a lathe to do a lot of my own projects.

I know single shot is an option, but this project intrigues me.

perhaps once the lapua's come out, bottom metal will be available.