Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New Build! first build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Gold Member

Re: New Build! first build.

See for me, money is an issue. I am 18 and about to start school. I have been saving for this project for a little while but i need the extra cash for school. I didn't buy a remington action/gun, my uncle had purchased a Remington 700 BDL and then he retired from hunting. The gun has barely been shot, in absolute perfect condition and he handed it down to me as a gift. I figured it would be the perfect doner action and would save me some doe. Thats why i chose remington.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_3479 View Post
See for me, money is an issue. I am 18 and about to start school. I have been saving for this project for a little while but i need the extra cash for school. I didn't buy a remington action/gun, my uncle had purchased a Remington 700 BDL and then he retired from hunting. The gun has barely been shot, in absolute perfect condition and he handed it down to me as a gift. I figured it would be the perfect doner action and would save me some doe. Thats why i chose remington.
Nothing wrong with that logic.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Yes, the Remington will work great for a donor action. Forget all the fancy bolts and fluting. You don't need it to have a tack driver. One option for you may be to take a look at Pac-Nor barrels for pricing and installation. They do a great job of truing the action and barrel installation for $300 plus the price of the barrel. Next, all you have to do is install your trigger and optics, then bed it into the stock of your choice and start load development. Aside from optics, you could be into this rifle for less than $1000 more dollars if you choose your parts wisely.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Matt is it a long or short action? Do you have a good stock already?
Old 01-21-2012, 01:12 AM
Gold Member

It's a long action. And I'm purchasing a McMillan a3
Old 01-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's a long action. And I'm purchasing a McMillan a3
Man that's reaching high for a kid on a budget!

If you do give their new A3 sporter a hard look. I may one day decide I can afford one.

If you decide to lower the budget a little and get to needing a stock drop me a line. I've got an extra Sendero stock I'd let you have very reasonably.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Gold Member

I realize my budget is high especially for a young kid trying to pay for school, but I have put money aside for both, saved up and spoke with Kevin at MCR and I got everything worked out in a decent price range. I worked hard and it's what I want, so McMillan it is.

I like the look of the standard a3 vs the sporter