Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New Build! first build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Gold Member

Re: New Build! first build.

I really like the look of the A3 stocks and im excited to work with it. I just had someone suggest a McMillan Game Scout as well and im pretty interested in it. It very similar but its lighter. Im going with Brux because Kevin is very similar with it. And yes i mean Kevin at MCR. Im excited to see how this build turns out.

How do you figure that your build would weight about 11.5 lbs. I think i will be going #4 and 26" barrel due to weight reasons.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

The Mcmillan painted A3 without the elevator adjustment is 2.9 lbs. The 26" barrel in 5.5 or 6 lilja fluted will be right at 4.5 lbs. The action weighs about a pound. scope is 20 ounces. rings and picatinny rail will be about half a pound. Add that up and it's just a SMIDGE over 10.5 lbs so actually around 11 lbs. That is my math anyways. For what it's worth I guessed my other build within 2 ounces as well. I'm thinking I'm going to try to gather all the components and ship them to Kevin as well. I really like his work on his site and he has a stellar reputation.
Nimrod
Old 01-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

I have built two rifles that could give you a sense of weight. The first was a .300 Jarrett using a 26" #4 barrel, Remington long action and a 3.5-10x40 scope. It weighed 8.75 lbs. The second is a 7SAUM with a 26" #5 Krieger, Remington long action, and 6.5-20x50 scope. It weighs 9 lbs, 14 oz. Both rifles have McMillan Remington Classic stocks. Just make additions or subtractions based upon your specific components. It will get you a good estimate of what your finished rifle will weigh.

By the way, both rifles shoot sub 1/2 MOA and are more than adequate for long range hunting applications.

Dan
Old 01-19-2012, 12:16 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod1203 View Post
The action weighs about a pound.
Nimrod
In what universe does an action weigh a pound?? Maybe the rimfire or airgun universe.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:21 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZelenka View Post
I have built two rifles that could give you a sense of weight. The first was a .300 Jarrett using a 26" #4 barrel, Remington long action and a 3.5-10x40 scope. It weighed 8.75 lbs. The second is a 7SAUM with a 26" #5 Krieger, Remington long action, and 6.5-20x50 scope. It weighs 9 lbs, 14 oz. Both rifles have McMillan Remington Classic stocks. Just make additions or subtractions based upon your specific components. It will get you a good estimate of what your finished rifle will weigh.

By the way, both rifles shoot sub 1/2 MOA and are more than adequate for long range hunting applications.

Dan
I appreciate the info,
you dont feel that the #4 is too light/thin or are you happy with your choice. Now if you were to do it again, would you choose #4 or another. Do you suggest the 4 or the 5
Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_3479 View Post
I appreciate the info,
you dont feel that the #4 is too light/thin or are you happy with your choice. Now if you were to do it again, would you choose #4 or another. Do you suggest the 4 or the 5
I really like the #4 for a hunting rifle, especially if you are going to carry it anywhere. It is well balanced for shooting and for carrying. I find with a heavier barrel, the barrel causes the rifle to hang unnaturally to the rear when you have it slung over your shoulder. The only reason I went with the #5 on my latest build is because the gunsmith didn't want to use anything lighter than a #5. If you want the weight of a #5, you could also try a light Palma shortened to 26". It would be about the same weight but with a heavier profile.

With a hunting rifle you aren't going to be shooting long strings of fire. If your rifle consistently puts the first few shots where you point them, that is adequate. Both of the rifles I described would/will regularly shoot sub 1/2 MOA and the best 3 shot groups from each were around 1/5 MOA. I wouldn't hesitate to use a #4 if I built a new hunting rifle. I really like a rifle that weighs 9 lbs or less ready to go.

In addition, I like the Remington Classic stock for my hunting rifles and they can only handle up to a #5 contour.

Finally, I carry enough weight in my pack without having to be weighed down with a heavier than necessary rifle. I sold a gift certificate for a Nightforce and chose to use a Leupold on my latest rifle because it would save me 10 oz without sacrificing usefullness to me.

Everyone has their own style and needs. You just need to identify what characteristics you want in a rifle and build to them. A good smith can build an accurate hunting rifle out of most reasonable contours. Long range accuracy doesn't have to mean an overly heavy rifle.

Dan
Old 01-19-2012, 06:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_3479 View Post
I appreciate the info,
Is less than 1/2 pound difference in weight really making that choice difficult for you? I would go with whichever Kevin recommends and call it good.

ADDED: I have 30" #6 contour (non-fluted) Lilja barrel on order for an upcoming project build.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.