Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New Build! first build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Gold Member

New Build! first build.

I am hoping to get this build started as soon as possible. In the past few years my ranges have expanded, my interests and goals have grown. Im looking for a rifle to shoot and hunt from ranges 500-800 yards on big game. Targets such as Whitetail, Moose, Elk, Black Bear and Caribou will be included. This is what im looking to get done,

Caliber: 300. win mag

Action: Remington 700 BDL

Work:
-blueprint action
-Holland recoil lug
-brux barrel (26 or 28"-#4 or #5 contour barrel. Undecided)
-pillar bed
-bolt flute
-timney trigger
-McMillan a3 stock
-KMW grenade style bolt knob

Im hoping this rifle to be relatively light. This will be my first build and will be my primary long range hunting rifle. What is everyones thoughts and opinons on this build?

Few questions i would like help with;
1.) Which length barrel and which Contour (would prefer to keep weight down)
2.) thoughts on McMillan a3 stock for a hunting rifle?
3.) what barrel twist is recommened. Looks like 10 and 11 are popular

I will be reloading and will be concentrating on Berger 210 VLD's, Nosler 200 Accubonds. thoughts and comments would be highly appreciated!!

Old 01-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Gold Member

Re: New Build! first build.

I personoly don't think that the words "long range" and "light weight" should be allowed to be used in the same sentance!! Light weight is not what you should be striving for.

That being said, what do you consider light weight? I can't imagin that the combo you came up with would be considered "light weight" in most peoples opinion. I gotta figure you will be at least 12 LBS min on the road. I have never held an A3, but the A5 that we use is fairly heavy. I'm not sure about how heavy the #4 and 5 tubes are ....all of my remmys are Rem Varment contour. Krieger says that the #5 contour is 1/2 pound lighter than the varment contour. I would think that this coubo would be great for 800 yard work.

The 11 or 10 twist will both work fine for the 210 Bergers, I have both in my 1K comp guns. If you are going to try go up in weight some day (as in the new 230 TAC Hybird from berger) I would go to 10 twist.

I have had great luck with RL22 in the 300 win. H1000 is also very good. Use Fed 215 primers.

Good luck, and have fun!!!!!

Last edited by 4xforfun; 01-18-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

To get the full capabilites of the 300wm a #7 countour with 8 flutes finished at28" is your best bet, also check into the competetive edge gunworks spiral fluted bolts with pinned extractor (m16 style). Also id go a few dollars more for a jewell trigger. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Bronze Member

This is what I have and it weighs just over 12 lbs

Stiller Predator long action
Mc Millan A3-5 tactical stock withadjustable cheak and length of pull
28" Schneider barrel 5.5 taper
standard bottom metal
Muzzle Break 2"
Timiney Trigger
Predator Rail
Badger Ordinance Max 50 rings
NightForce 5.5x22x56

If I were to do it over again with the priority being hunting, I would do the everything the same except the following.
24"- 26" (max) length
number 5 taper (fluted)
lighter rings and scope.
shorter muzzle break.
A3 McMillan Sporter (much lighter than the A5)
This should put you closer to 10lbs.

FYI, my 28" barrel is way to long, which makes it a "bear" to walk thru trees.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Gold Member

I didn't mean light weight long range, i meant more like id rather keep weight down. I have seen rifles that weight like 15+ lbs. I was hoping for a rifle around 12 lbs. I knew it would be heavy so when i say light weight i just mean i dont want to be adding things that will put weight on like a #8 contour barrel. I spoke with Kevin at MCR and he is the one that will be doing my build. He is also the one that gave me all this information. Thats the reason i am saying #4-#5 contour, its what he had told me.

Quote:
The 11 or 10 twist will both work fine for the 210 Bergers, I have both in my 1K comp guns. If you are going to try go up in weight some day (as in the new 230 TAC Hybird from berger) I would go to 10 twist.
Like i said this rifle will be used for hunting purposes. I dont plan on shooting the 230 bergers, only cause i haven't heard enough about them. I know the 210 are trusted long range killers and i love accubonds and trust them on game at pretty much any range.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgutpile View Post
This is what I have and it weighs just over 12 lbs

Stiller Predator long action
Mc Millan A3-5 tactical stock withadjustable cheak and length of pull
28" Schneider barrel 5.5 taper
standard bottom metal
Muzzle Break 2"
Timiney Trigger
Predator Rail
Badger Ordinance Max 50 rings
NightForce 5.5x22x56

If I were to do it over again with the priority being hunting, I would do the everything the same except the following.
24"- 26" (max) length
number 5 taper (fluted)
lighter rings and scope.
shorter muzzle break.
A3 McMillan Sporter (much lighter than the A5)
This should put you closer to 10lbs.

FYI, my 28" barrel is way to long, which makes it a "bear" to walk thru trees.
I appreciate the info. I think im going 26" barrel for the reason you stated. Kevin suggest the A3 sporter but im not a fan of the look of the sporter, and i will probably just stick with the A3. I will not have a muzzle break which will drop a little weight, and will be going light weight rings, and probably a Vortex Viper PST since i have one laying around. That will also drop some weight. Kevin told me to expect it to be 12 lbs finished off.

Quote:
Also id go a few dollars more for a jewell trigger
Due to hunting purposes, i was told that the timney trigger offers a little more. I have read that the Jewel triggers have issues with dirt getting in them.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Silver Member

Sounds like my next build! I've got an A3 lined up thats new but the guy didn't decide to build a LA so I might be able to get it cheap. If that deal falls through I'm probably gonna go either Game scout or the Manners T series. Mine will be in 300 winny as well. I was going to go brux too. However the main draw for me with brux was the shorter lead time. I'm not as big of a fan of Krieger(brux) contours. For what it's worth, i've done a TON of research on contours lately and you can get a tad beefier Lilja and it will be lighter than all others in that same final muzzle diameter due to them reducing to a smaller size after the chamber and having more of a straight look to them. My plan was to go #6 fluted lilja contour, or 5.5 Shilen fluted at 26 inches, or 27 without a brake and if my math is correct, i'd be right about 10.5-11 lbs. Now thats without the adjustments in the stock, so keep that in mind. I'm going to try to go less than 11.5 lbs and have pretty much figured i can do this with the components you have chosen. I just finished a .25-06 with a #4 fluted 26" shilen and a sporter stock thats under 10 lbs with a viper hs. Anyways, best of luck to you!
Nimrod
Ps. when you say Kevin, you mean MCR?