Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New 7mm SAUM Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 03:33 PM

New 7mm SAUM Questions.

I bought a Remington 700 in 7mm SAUM Sunday. I basically wanted something fun to shoot, and something that I can practice on. I have never shot a rifle before. The gun is really clean. Manufactured in 02. He only shot it 100 or so times. It has a Leupold VX-II 6-18 scope on it. At 100 yards (I know, childs play) it shot a little high, but exactly where he said it would. We were shooting 140Grain Rem factory loads. Recoil was very light, probably due to the 140 G

I have over a box of the 150 Grain factory http://www.natchezss.com/Ammo.cfm?co...150gr%2020/box

How do i figure how much I need to compensate for drop at a given yardage?
Right now I'd like to play around at 200-400 yards.
Also, say I ever get good enough to start taking long shots, is this a sufficient caliber to do so? Out to 1000? I plan on getting a press soon enough. Roughly what will cost/round be?

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Gold Member

Re: New 7mm SAUM Questions.

You can get basic info on that ammo from Remington's website: Remington Ballistics Calculator

Based on this info, it looks like you have approximately 3,110fps muzzle velocity. If you are 2.1" high at 200 yards (zeroed at 250) you can expect 3.6" of drop at 300 yards, 15.8" of drop at 400 yards, and 36.1" of drop at 500 yards. This is a basic guideline that you can use to get close. You can also use the G7 Ballistics Calculator located on the top menu of this website. That will allow you to input your results and build up a true drop chart with your data depending on what yardage you zero at, what altitude you shoot at, what the temperature is, etc.

As far as how far distance-wise you will be able to shoot, a lot depends on what you are shooting at. If it is paper, you should be able to get out there a ways. If it is big game, you are not going to have more than about 400 yards or so of effectiveness. Do a bunch of research and learn as much as you can about what loads to look at and where other people are having success. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
You can get basic info on that ammo from Remington's website: Remington Ballistics Calculator

Based on this info, it looks like you have approximately 3,110fps muzzle velocity. If you are 2.1" high at 200 yards (zeroed at 250) you can expect 3.6" of drop at 300 yards, 15.8" of drop at 400 yards, and 36.1" of drop at 500 yards. This is a basic guideline that you can use to get close. You can also use the G7 Ballistics Calculator located on the top menu of this website. That will allow you to input your results and build up a true drop chart with your data depending on what yardage you zero at, what altitude you shoot at, what the temperature is, etc.

As far as how far distance-wise you will be able to shoot, a lot depends on what you are shooting at. If it is paper, you should be able to get out there a ways. If it is big game, you are not going to have more than about 400 yards or so of effectiveness. Do a bunch of research and learn as much as you can about what loads to look at and where other people are having success. Good luck!
Thanks for the info! Curious to try it at range.
I've seen bergers are liked, but I also notice people seemed to want a LA gun for them. I have read you can run Berger hybrids for the SA.

Right now I'm just looking to punch paper. Maybe later I'll get into hunting with it.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Gold Member

Good looking gun! As I said, do a bunch of research and you will be able to find a bunch of reloading information. If you are interested in getting into long range, I also recommend Bryan Litz's book "Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting." That will give you a great idea as to what to really look for when picking a load. I wish I had read that before settling on my current load setup.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Silver Member

The classic hunters that you mentioned in the 168 Bergers will really extend your range with that rifle. You should be able to get them over 2900 fps. Good hunting/paper punching load. With time and practice you should be able to get to your 1000 yard mark. I have a7 SAUM and am another built right now. Bruce
Old 05-08-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
Good looking gun! As I said, do a bunch of research and you will be able to find a bunch of reloading information. If you are interested in getting into long range, I also recommend Bryan Litz's book "Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting." That will give you a great idea as to what to really look for when picking a load. I wish I had read that before settling on my current load setup.
Thank you, I will look into it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillettehunter View Post
The classic hunters that you mentioned in the 168 Bergers will really extend your range with that rifle. You should be able to get them over 2900 fps. Good hunting/paper punching load. With time and practice you should be able to get to your 1000 yard mark. I have a7 SAUM and am another built right now. Bruce
Yeah that's the one. Thanks, that's what I am hoping for.

I hope to take it out again and play with it at distance. I enjoyed shooting it, and I got it at a very fair price so I figured why not.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Silver Member

[QUOTE=cohunter14;804300]You can get basic info on that ammo from Remington's website: [url=http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/ballistics.aspx] If it is big game, you are not going to have more than about 400 yards or so of effectiveness.

Really !? Learn to shoot that rifle and a 7mm SAUM will be reliable at more than two and a half times 400 yards. That particular rifle may not be accurate enough but the 7mm saum can get it done past 1000 yards. Once you reach the limits of your factory rifle you will have the bug bad and a semi or full custom build will in order. All the advice about learning all you can , reading some good books and all is spot on but that 400 yards being max effective range on game with a 7mm saum is just ignorant.