Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

new 7mm rem mag advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 10:03 PM

new 7mm rem mag advice

Hey fellas, this is my first post on here, been following for quite some time tho.. anyhow..recently I bought a like new remington model 700 sendero 7mm rem mag from a buddy, and I plan to someday stretch its legs out. Currently it is set up with a bushnell elite tactical 4200 6-24x50 with seems like a great scope so far. After a rough 200 yard zero(havent started loading for it yet) I have a little over 42 moa left for elevation with the 20 moa rail. I have a box of sierra matchking 168s I plan to start off load development on it. I know the .488 bc is lacking, but ive had great luck with sierras in the past. My question is, firstly, does this seem like a solid set up to start off the long range game? And the other is about what people are using for powder, etc with either the smk like I am or similar 168s. I know there will be several different opinions about the smk being used on deer but id like to hear what you guys got for me. I love to learn new things about shooting and can tell theres a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

little background on myself since Im new here. My name is Brian, I have been in the us navy for almost 6 years now, stationed in gulfport ms.. im a construction mechanic second class(e5). I do have quite a bit of time under my belt with weapons, I have been a marksmanship coach off and on for a few years so I have the shooting basics down. Im always eager to pick the brains of people with more first hand experience than myself. Thanks in advance and god bless

Last edited by brianmark; 05-12-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-12-2014, 10:27 PM
Bronze Member

Re: new 7mm rem mag advice

Welcome to the site, Brian. Some web searches will turn up lots of load data for the 7mmRemMag. Seems like many people prefer the Alliant Powders Relaoder 19, 22, and 25 for that cartridge. Others powders that works are IMR 7828 and Hodgdon H1000.

I'm in the middle of working with RL 19, 25, and H1000 for my own 7mmRem load development. Using 168 VLD's though.

BTW I also have a Bushnell Elite 4.5-30X50. It's on a .308 that currently has a broken stock. So it's laid up right now. But you're right, it's not a bad scope. It just leaves a lot to be desired for clarity if zoomed in beyond 20 power. But it's adjustments are repeatable and it holds a zero.
Great caliber, go ahead improve your Lapuas, create your Edge +P, should have just started with the Weby.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:33 PM

I have heard the same thing about the bushnell scopes not havin the best clarity, but so far from my limited use of it I have no negatives to say in that regard. The scope seems solid and I hope itll stay reliable and give me lots of time behind it. I do have another bushnell tactical scope on my 300 wm thats a 10x40 mil/mil I got off midwayusa.. im hopin over time ill get proficient enough to do some longer range hunting(current goal is 600 yards but im sure itll change as I progress)
Old 05-12-2014, 11:12 PM
Silver Member

Thank you for your service Brian. If it weren't for the Navy we'd all be speaking Japanese right now ;)

You chose a very nice setup for long range. The Sendero is built very well and highly capable of top notch long range accuracy. I don't think you will have any problem reaching out there with the bullets you have on hand. If you find that you need more BC to stretch it a little further, just buy some higher BC bullets and work up a load. But for a deer, I don't think that it will go far with a 168gr of anything from a 7mm Mag hitting it in the right spot.

The scope you have will serve you well also.
I have 4.5-30x50 Bushnell Elite Tactical scope on a 338-375 Ruger and the rifle has NO MUZZLE BRAKE. I push the 250gr Berger VLDs a little under max load at 2925 fps from a 26" Brux barrel. It's about as much recoil as a guy wants to deal with before submitting and installing a brake. That scope has handled that high recoil without one hitch. It gets a hair "milky" past 25X, but it's barely detectable. It's only a 50mm objective and I think I only paid $750 for it, so you gotta cut it a little slack. But 30X is perfectly usable and it tracks/ holds zero like a NightForce. I have no complaints.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:06 AM

Man your rifle sounds likes it a beast..definitely cool tho!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:48 AM
Silver Member

I've had great luck with 150 Etips and 168 Bergers in my brothers 7mag using H4831. I recently put together my own 7mag and am waiting for a day to go to the range and shoot. Got some Bergers loaded with H4350 (a bit fast), H4831 (close to ideal) and Retumbo (bit slow). A power somewhere in that burn range ought to work for you.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Silver Member

Can't go wrong with the setup you have! Thank You Many Times For You Service! A favorite load of mine for a 7 mm mag is 64grn's-IMR 4350,win brass,cci250 primer,160 Sierra Gameking an 168smk. Havnt seen a 7 mag yet that didn't like that load! Another is 71grns of H-1000, got a old sendero that shoots bugholes with it! Good shooting to you an again, Many Thanks For Your Service!

DT