Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

The New .260 AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: The New .260 AR

I will have to check my records when I get home but I believe that I am getting a little over 2800 with the 100 gr. ballistic tips out of my grendel. But yes, I would die before I traded off my VS SF II in 220 swift.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnwhip View Post
8.9 Mini ? You mean 6.8 ?
Yep... Not sure how my fingers got so far off the home keys as to come up with that mess HA!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Silver Member

I've been playing with the idea of an AR for years. I never have jumped into one yet. I've thought about 204, 223, and 260 most recently. I would really like a good truck gun that has the LR ability for a yote that's out there at 500. Nice rig!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

I don't mess with AR's here in PA. They are illegal to hunt with, so all I could do is use it to punch holes in paper. That is why I prefer bolt guns. Should I ever move somewhere, where they are legal to hunt with or I ever get into three gun or something, then I will consider one. I have thought about a 22LR in an AR configuration though.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

The only time that I ever take mine out is for coyote hunting. That is what I specifically built it for. With the muzzle brake on it, the 6.5 Grendel AR barely moves when I pull the trigger. It is good for fast follow up shots if more than one coyote comes in. For all other hunting, I use a bolt gun.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice setup there, I've always had a soft spot for the "black rifles" in fact i've still got 4 now...

6.8 SPC
.50 Beowulf (ouch)

& since viewing your thread, I think i'll pull out my AR-10 in .243win, blow the dust off of it & get'er back to the range.... thanks for the friendly reminder.

You're absolutely correct about the Magpul mags, they rock! & made in the USA....
Old 10-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
The only time that I ever take mine out is for coyote hunting. That is what I specifically built it for. With the muzzle brake on it, the 6.5 Grendel AR barely moves when I pull the trigger. It is good for fast follow up shots if more than one coyote comes in. For all other hunting, I use a bolt gun.
Yep that was my main reason for going with the AR platform.

Frequently the coyotes around here will be running in packs of 3-5, and of course hogs tend to travel in herds that can number over 40 animals.

I'll say this though for anyone thinking of building a similar rig, keep in mind that a 24" bbl on the AR10/LR308 platform makes for a very long and unwieldy rig due to the length of the action.

Total length on my rig is right at 52" and it weighs in right around 16lbs without a magazine.

It is strictly a LR type set up vs something you'd want to carry all day.