Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

The New .260 AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member

Re: The New .260 AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the shotty View Post
That is an awesome set up, Now go get some blood on it!
Thanks. I already did. A coyote comitted suicide about an hour after I got done with the paper targets.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
Nice rifle! Just about the same setup as my 6.5 Grendel except I have a 20" barrel. Looks like it shoots great.
Well I may very well go ahead next year and do a grendel build.

I built this one specifically as an LR rig, but since my buddy ran off with my 6.8 Mini 14 I'm now short one handy "truck gun" to ride along next to my seat.

The overall quality and accuracy of the AR platform has come so far in the last twenty years it's hard to even imagine.

Carl at Accuracy Systems Inc also makes them in .204 and .220swift so I may well go that way instead. The primary use of my every day carry gun is for quick action on predators and hogs and the mini 14 worked great for that, but what the hell everyone needs at least 2 "Big Black Rifles" don't we?

Last edited by WildRose; 10-28-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:51 AM
Silver Member

Very nice! I wish I had the abundance of game you guys do down there!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Can't argue about the .204 or the 220 swift as they are both great cartridges. I have a Sendero VSSF II in 220 swift and it flat out shoots. I have killed a ton of coyotes with it. I love that gun but I think that the 6.5 Grendel AR that I have is a more efficient killer at range because of the wind bucking abilities of that high BC 6.5mm bullet. Here in Southern New Mexico as you well know, the wind can get pretty crazy out of the blue. I shot a coyote in the front of the chest with it the other day and all I could hear when I picked the coyote up by its hind legs was that sloshing sound from everything being tore up inside. Those 100 gr ballistic tips do a number on coyotes for sure. The other good thing about the grendel is that a pound of powder lasts a long time when you are only dumping 29.5 grains or so into each case!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
Can't argue about the .204 or the 220 swift as they are both great cartridges. I have a Sendero VSSF II in 220 swift and it flat out shoots. I have killed a ton of coyotes with it. I love that gun but I think that the 6.5 Grendel AR that I have is a more efficient killer at range because of the wind bucking abilities of that high BC 6.5mm bullet. Here in Southern New Mexico as you well know, the wind can get pretty crazy out of the blue. I shot a coyote in the front of the chest with it the other day and all I could hear when I picked the coyote up by its hind legs was that sloshing sound from everything being tore up inside. Those 100 gr ballistic tips do a number on coyotes for sure. The other good thing about the grendel is that a pound of powder lasts a long time when you are only dumping 29.5 grains or so into each case!
Without a doubt. I wouldnt trade my VLS 22-250 for anything...but when a "7 point".."milk jug" rears its head up...WAAAAYYYYYY out there....the 6mm / 6.5mm comes out of the case and gets used
Old 10-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

Yep I agree. For pure varmint rifle the 220 Swift or 22-250 are just flat hard to beat. I've now got a .220Swift in a Remington VS SF that's terrific.

In the wind however or for a round you can also take hogs and deer with the .260 or 6.5's win every time.

I really fretted for a long time trying to decide between the Grendel and the 6.8spc and went with the 6.8 mainly because of the hogs. It is however just too slow for coyotes and bobcats that have to be shot on the run.

I definitely see the 6.5 Grendel as most likely being my next project. It doesn't quite get to the velocities of the .260, but for long range work it beats it hands down and does still have the velocity needed to reach out and touch the runners.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Well I may very well go ahead next year and do a grendel build.

I built this one specifically as an LR rig, but since my buddy ran off wity my 8.9 Mini 14 I'm now short one handy "truck gun" to ride along next to my seat.

The overall quality and accuracy of the AR platform has come so far in the last twenty years it's hard to even imagine.

Carl at Accuracy Systems Inc also makes them in .204 and .220swift so I may well go that way instead. The primary use of my every day carry gun is for quick action on predators and hogs and the mini 14 worked great for that, but what the hell everyone needs at least 2 "Big Black Rifles" don't we?
8.9 Mini ? You mean 6.8 ?